NL Central Smackdown: Third Basemen

Shortstops | Poll
2nd Basemen | Poll
1st Basemen | Poll

It may seem I've been a bit down on our Cubbies in the first three installments, but do not fret, the Cubs and Aramis Ramirez runaway with the third base honors.

The hot corner after the jump...

Player 3-Year Warp-3 Average
3 Year Warp-3 Projection
Rob's Ranking
Aramis Ramirez
6.43 5 1
Bill Hall 4.67 3.13 4
Troy Glaus 5.6 3.5 2
Ty Wigginton 3.03 2.87 5
Edwin Encarnacion 2.77 4.43 3
Jose Bautista 3.1 (2 years) 2.83 6

The Justification: Aramis wins in a landslide on this win, an under-appreciated bat and now steady defense all while just hitting his 30th birthday. The two and three spots I flipped a few times between Glaus and Encarnacion, Glaus with a better track record, Encarnacion with far more promise. As I mentioned, I did these rankings before the year started and I may very well switch the two considering Encarnacion's hot start and Glaus's seemingly HGH-less loss of power. Bill Hall can play a few positions and all, but his strikeout to walk ratio makes me think that 2005 and 2006 were a bit flukey and we're more likely to see something closer to his 2007 numbers. His defense at third is below average as well, sadly for the Brewers though, that's still better than Ryan Braun's defense at third base. Wigginton and Bautista are just waste of times. It seems pretty straight forward to me on this one, with just the 2-4 spots really meriting any discussion.

There's another poll for you guys to fill out below this and I'll leave the old polls open until we finish this.

Please note, you do have to register to vote. This isn't some scheme to solicit registrations, it's just an anomaly of the site and the poll software that's built in. Trust me, I'd love to fix it, but I haven't found another piece of integrated software that does these ranking polls which I really like. Plus if you register, you get a better user experience as I tend to test everything as a registered user and you get an uncached version of the site. You can also view the results of the poll after you vote, instead of having to wait until I close it. It takes all of two minutes to register and unlikes some sites, I'll be more than happy to cancel your account if you wish. You'll never receive any spam from us either...promise.

Comments

Get outta my head Rob. Your ranks mirror mine. Just the same as the SS ratings.

Rob G. The G stands for Gypsy?

Why the hell do people think every single player was using HGH and now suddenly stopped? You do know that they still don't test for HGH right?

Ramirez, Glaus, Wiggington, Encarn, Hall, Bautista.

Wow... not much love for Wiggington.

Thanks crunch!!

It's mesmerizing

jacos 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • 5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)

sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.

• Good work!

John Beasley 4 hours 11 min ago view
  • crunch 10 hours 49 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 10 hours 49 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 11 hours 22 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 11 hours 46 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 21 hours 54 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk