NL Central Smackdown: Third Basemen

Shortstops | Poll
2nd Basemen | Poll
1st Basemen | Poll

It may seem I've been a bit down on our Cubbies in the first three installments, but do not fret, the Cubs and Aramis Ramirez runaway with the third base honors.

The hot corner after the jump...

Player 3-Year Warp-3 Average
3 Year Warp-3 Projection
Rob's Ranking
Aramis Ramirez
6.43 5 1
Bill Hall 4.67 3.13 4
Troy Glaus 5.6 3.5 2
Ty Wigginton 3.03 2.87 5
Edwin Encarnacion 2.77 4.43 3
Jose Bautista 3.1 (2 years) 2.83 6

The Justification: Aramis wins in a landslide on this win, an under-appreciated bat and now steady defense all while just hitting his 30th birthday. The two and three spots I flipped a few times between Glaus and Encarnacion, Glaus with a better track record, Encarnacion with far more promise. As I mentioned, I did these rankings before the year started and I may very well switch the two considering Encarnacion's hot start and Glaus's seemingly HGH-less loss of power. Bill Hall can play a few positions and all, but his strikeout to walk ratio makes me think that 2005 and 2006 were a bit flukey and we're more likely to see something closer to his 2007 numbers. His defense at third is below average as well, sadly for the Brewers though, that's still better than Ryan Braun's defense at third base. Wigginton and Bautista are just waste of times. It seems pretty straight forward to me on this one, with just the 2-4 spots really meriting any discussion.

There's another poll for you guys to fill out below this and I'll leave the old polls open until we finish this.

Please note, you do have to register to vote. This isn't some scheme to solicit registrations, it's just an anomaly of the site and the poll software that's built in. Trust me, I'd love to fix it, but I haven't found another piece of integrated software that does these ranking polls which I really like. Plus if you register, you get a better user experience as I tend to test everything as a registered user and you get an uncached version of the site. You can also view the results of the poll after you vote, instead of having to wait until I close it. It takes all of two minutes to register and unlikes some sites, I'll be more than happy to cancel your account if you wish. You'll never receive any spam from us either...promise.

Comments

Get outta my head Rob. Your ranks mirror mine. Just the same as the SS ratings.

Rob G. The G stands for Gypsy?

Why the hell do people think every single player was using HGH and now suddenly stopped? You do know that they still don't test for HGH right?

Ramirez, Glaus, Wiggington, Encarn, Hall, Bautista.

Wow... not much love for Wiggington.

• Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.

WebAdmin 3 hours 13 min ago view
  • Mine has been really slow to load -- on different computers from different locations.

JoePepitone 5 hours 35 min ago view
  • Anybody else have issues accessing the site this afternoon/evening?

Eric S 6 hours 36 min ago view
  • Boras is 63, maybe he'll be retired or dead by the time Bryant, Russell, Almora, Albertos all hit free agency. Doubt he will be before Jake hits there though.

cubbies.4ever 9 hours 56 min ago view
  • Interesting choices when guys get healthy.

LaStella, Fowler & Soler replace Coghlan, Almora and Sczcur? I assume they don't want Almora to sit.

Despite MIggy's demise, I assume they keep him around to mentor Contreras?

• I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.

• oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.

poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.

• Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)

• Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.

JoePepitone 14 hours 41 min ago view
  • almora's 1st HR!

• it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.

kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.

• It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.

At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.

• he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.

• After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.

Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.

Brick 15 hours 48 min ago view
  • SHOW ME THE MONEY: Jose Albertos has signed with Mega-Agent Scott Boras.

Albertos has already received his signing bonus and won't see any additional significant money until he reaches the big leagues, so this is a long-term investment for the Boras Corporation.

Other Cubs represented by Boras include Jake Arrieta, Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, and Albert Almora Jr.

Arizona Phil 15 hours 54 min ago view
  • I am glad Joe is managing this team and not Old and Blue!

Hagsag 18 hours 16 min ago view