NL Central Smackdown: Third Basemen

Shortstops | Poll
2nd Basemen | Poll
1st Basemen | Poll

It may seem I've been a bit down on our Cubbies in the first three installments, but do not fret, the Cubs and Aramis Ramirez runaway with the third base honors.

The hot corner after the jump...

Player 3-Year Warp-3 Average
3 Year Warp-3 Projection
Rob's Ranking
Aramis Ramirez
6.43 5 1
Bill Hall 4.67 3.13 4
Troy Glaus 5.6 3.5 2
Ty Wigginton 3.03 2.87 5
Edwin Encarnacion 2.77 4.43 3
Jose Bautista 3.1 (2 years) 2.83 6

The Justification: Aramis wins in a landslide on this win, an under-appreciated bat and now steady defense all while just hitting his 30th birthday. The two and three spots I flipped a few times between Glaus and Encarnacion, Glaus with a better track record, Encarnacion with far more promise. As I mentioned, I did these rankings before the year started and I may very well switch the two considering Encarnacion's hot start and Glaus's seemingly HGH-less loss of power. Bill Hall can play a few positions and all, but his strikeout to walk ratio makes me think that 2005 and 2006 were a bit flukey and we're more likely to see something closer to his 2007 numbers. His defense at third is below average as well, sadly for the Brewers though, that's still better than Ryan Braun's defense at third base. Wigginton and Bautista are just waste of times. It seems pretty straight forward to me on this one, with just the 2-4 spots really meriting any discussion.

There's another poll for you guys to fill out below this and I'll leave the old polls open until we finish this.

Please note, you do have to register to vote. This isn't some scheme to solicit registrations, it's just an anomaly of the site and the poll software that's built in. Trust me, I'd love to fix it, but I haven't found another piece of integrated software that does these ranking polls which I really like. Plus if you register, you get a better user experience as I tend to test everything as a registered user and you get an uncached version of the site. You can also view the results of the poll after you vote, instead of having to wait until I close it. It takes all of two minutes to register and unlikes some sites, I'll be more than happy to cancel your account if you wish. You'll never receive any spam from us either...promise.

Comments

Get outta my head Rob. Your ranks mirror mine. Just the same as the SS ratings.

Rob G. The G stands for Gypsy?

Why the hell do people think every single player was using HGH and now suddenly stopped? You do know that they still don't test for HGH right?

Ramirez, Glaus, Wiggington, Encarn, Hall, Bautista.

Wow... not much love for Wiggington.

• Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!

• Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...

JoePepitone 3 hours 53 min ago view
  • Attaboy!

• Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!

rvimpeny 4 hours 9 min ago view
  • Dear Baseball Gods--
    My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
    Sincerely,
    CTSteve

CTSteve 4 hours 10 min ago view
  • Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.

• strop...stawwwp.

jaso has a cycle and 5 rbis...pit leads by 4.

• have a nice bowl of pizza soup deep dish pizza...or a leisurely walk around the notorious south-side (bring money)...shopping at one of the walmart supercenters...waiting in line to waste $20 at willis tower...

seriously, though...it's chicago, a lot to do. have a dog for lunch, a great dinner, and catch some local comedy.

• Strange, because he really seemed to have the Pirates number last year.

Bummer for Jake -- I think this is the first time all year his ERA has been over 3.00, and that will be his number for the year.

• Jinx remover -- your trip doesn't have to be for a baseball game -- lots of stuff to do here in town.

• Guess they could always try to White Sox (and Bears...sob) approach: Never Rebuild! Seems to work pretty well for them.

• 3rd time this season he's given up 6+ runs to PIT...only team he's given up 6+ runs to this season.

7 runs is the most he's given up since august 6th in colorado...in 2014.

• Over 100 pitches, only the 5th.

Brick 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • coghlan out...got his cleats stuck in the wall attempting a play (failed, but looked great doing it). walking off on his own, precautionary/day-to-day looking stuff...hopefully not worse.

also, jake arrieta is literally worse than hitler. 1-5, bottom 5. ...make that 1-6, bottom 5. ...make that 1-7, bottom 5.

• Coghlan crashes into wall and comes up limping, looks like left knee or ankle. Leaves game...

Arrieta inspiring no confidence yet again.

• from a sun-times article that I won't link to so you don't have to bear the ad-loading that will crush your browser

When he left Boston after nine years as general manager, Epstein said he believed in the philosophy espoused by legendary football coach Bill Walsh: essentially that 10 years is a natural shelf life for a high-stress job.