EXST Giants drub EXST Cubs
The EXST Giants put up a six spot in the bottom of the 1st inning en route to a 12-7 victory over the EXST Cubs at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this morning.
RHP Jose Pina, rehabbing at Extended Spring Training from 2007 TJ surgery, did not get out of the 1st inning, allowing four runs on three hits and a walk before being relieved.
RHP Dionis Nunez followed, and he was just as bad, allowing four more runs on seven hits and a walk. He was saved further damage thanks to two Giants runners getting thrown out trying to take an extra base.
On offense, Nelson Perez hit a three-run home run over the RF fence in the top of the 5th that cut the Giants lead to 8-7, but the Cubs were unable to score any more runs over the last five innings.
In EXST Cubs news, Cubs Player Development Director Oneri Fleita will be in town this weekend, presumably to help determine who goes to Boise, who might get advanced to Peoria, and who stays at Fitch Park for the summer. (And maybe who gets released). To that end, the EXST Cubs were thrilled to find out that they will be having a special extra workout at Fitch Park this coming Sunday (Sunday is normally a day off).
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)...
NOTE: Although the Giants won the game in regulation, 10 innings were played to allow pitchers to get extra work.
1. Cesar Salazar, LF: 1-4 (R, BB, SB, GIDP)
2. Marwin Gonzalez, SS: 1-5 (2 R, SB, GIDP)
3 Carlos Perez, DH #1: 0-2 (K)
4. Kyler Burke, 1B: 1-5 (R, 2 K)
5. Nelson Perez, RF: 1-4 (HR, 3 RBI, R, K)
6. Roberto Sabates, C: 1-4 (3B, RBI, R)
7. Kevin Soto, CF: 1-4 (RBI, 2 K)
8. Starlin Castro, 3B: 2-3 (2B, BB)
9. Alvaro Sosa, DH #2: 0-4 (K)
10. Jose Made, 2B: 2-4 (R, K)
NOTE: DH #1 Carlos Perez only batted when he wasn't otherwise occupied warming up a relief pitcher in the bullpen
1. Jose Pina - 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K
2. Dionis Nunez - 2.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K (1/3 GO/FO)
3. Julio Pena - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP (3/4 GO/FO)
4. Arik Hempy - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (2/2 GO/FO)
5. Jon Mueller - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K (4/0 GO/FO)
ERRORS - 3
1. Roberto Sabates: E-2, overthrew 3rd base attempting to pick runner off base, runner scored.
2. Starlin Castro: E-5, overthrew 2nd base trying to throw out batter-runner attempting to advance to 2nd base after play at 3rd base, runner scored.
3. Starlin Castro: E5, overthrew 1st base on infield single, allowing batter-runner to reach 2nd base
1. LF Cesar Salazar threw out runner 7-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF.
2. RF Nelson Perez threw out batter-runner 9-6-5 trying to stretch a double into a triple.
CATCHERS DEFENSE AGAINST THE RUN
Roberto Sabates: 0-1 CS
Temperature in the upper 80's, clear & cloudless, light breeze.
Happ signs w Jays
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!