Game 62 Thread / Cubs @ Dodgers (2 of 4)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Sean Gallagher SP Hiroki Kuroda
  3-1, 4.55, 25 K, 10 BB, 31.2 IP
2-5, 3.93, 37 K, 23 BB, 71 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano LF *Juan Pierre
SS Ryan Theriot RF #Delwyn Young
1B Derrek Lee 2B Jeff Kent
3B Aramis Ramirez 1B *James Loney
RF *Kosuke Fukudome CF Matt Kemp
CF *Jim Edmonds 3B *Blake DeWitt
2B Mark DeRosa C Danny Ardoin
C Henry Blanco SS Chin-Lung Hu
P Sean Gallagher P Hiroki Kuroda

A win tonight and the Cubs are the proud owner of a winning road trip. They will aslo be the first team to 40 wins this season, a seemingly insignificant milestone that reader "JohnBeasley" shows is at the very least, a marker of good things to come.

First in the majors to 40:
2007: 6/9 - BOS (won World Series) and LAA (made playoffs)
2006: 6/11 - DET (won pennant)
2005: 6/8 - CHW (won World Series)
2004: 6/13 - NYY (made playoffs)

Source: BaseballRace.com

It'll be up to 22-year Sean Gallagher to try and accomplish the task, and he fared well last week versus the Dodgers, going seven innings and only allowing one earned run, albeit in prime pitching conditions. And while there was talk a few weeks back that Gallagher is just keeping the seat warm for either Sean Marshall or Rich Hill's return, he seems to have gotten on Lou's good graces.

"He's got a good arm," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said.
"He's basically learning to pitch at the big-league level. He's working
every time he works in the bullpen on his second and third pitches.
He's got a fine arm.

"I've said many times it surprised me how good an arm
he has. I didn't see it last spring, and I didn't see it last summer,
and I didn't see it this spring. I knew he had the potential to be a
major-league pitcher, but I didn't realize he threw as hard as he did."

I'll be at Dodger Stadium for the next two after tonight, wish me luck with the parking lot.

Comments

Edmonds at catcher! WOO!!!

Cubs going with the rare 2 catcher alignment.

lou has lost his fucking mind.

going with the classic 2-catcher/0-CF setup and they choose edmonds over fontegod?

what's up with this joker?!?!

Gee ROB G:

You shouldn't have any parking problems on Sunday, at least.

another WGN game...another 1000 herpies and limp dick pill commercials.

i swear...cubs fans...start taking care of your dicks.

wtf...

5IP, one hit.....and 7 BB

Ugh.

Too bad Hill can't hit like Ankiel

Umps seem to be anti-Cub tonight.

Terrible call at first costs the Cubs a run following the Brenley jinx ("this is a sure thing RBI for Aramis").

Now LA loads 'em up with no outs.

We're gonna need some runs, boys. Wake up them bats.

At least the Cards and Brewers lost.

it's tough watching a game when the umpiring crew is so inconsistent and bad.

Kent's K was a ball and of course his arguing is going to get him run from the game.
Fukudome's double play was a force out RBI, boo Cousins.
Kuroda's pitching so slowly that the hitters need to step out and slow up the game even more, but the umps don't do much about it. I thought someone was supposed to time the pitcher to 12 seconds...

I hate bad umpiring. Derryl Cousins and Marty Foster, please go away.

Doesn't seem like the Cubs are going to score 4 tonight.

G'Night.

Anyone noticing that Scott Eyre has been really good in the limited role Lou's used him? 2 more K's last night in 2/3 IP.

Certainly better than at any point last year. Can't hurt that he's on a contract season.

Curse Fox and their blackout rights.

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

crunch 56 min 4 sec ago view
  • I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

crunch 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

crunch 1 hour 28 min ago view
  • How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 3 hours 23 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 3 hours 38 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 5 hours 55 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

• So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 5 hours 58 min ago view
  • TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.

Cubster 6 hours 48 min ago view
  • Objectively true. Scherzer's FIP is almost a half point higher than his ERA, mostly I deduce because his BABIP is .249 so something ridiculous like that. It's not like the guy can't be scored on, but when I watch him, I sometimes feel that he's the most in control of the game moving around him.

John Beasley 7 hours 33 min ago view
  • Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.

• Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

• i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 16 hours 44 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers: