TCR Friday Notes

...the triumphant return.

- Fun with projections: At their current .642 winning percentage, the Cubs would win 104 games. They have played a considerable amount of extra home games though to this point, so if you use their current .784 home winning percentage and their current .467 road winning percentage, that comes out to (roughly) 63 home wins and 37 on the road for a total of 100 wins. If they "tank" the rest of the way and just play .500 ball, they'd still be good for 90 wins on the year. This would also be a good time to note though that the highest home win total since 2002 is 57 wins done by the 2003 A's and Giants and the 2004 Yankees.

- Pitch F/X is now keeping track of time between pitches for each individual pitcher and The Hardball Times did a brief study wondering if fast-working pitchers do indeed help their defense stay sharp. For the Cubs in 2008, Jon Lieber is the quickest at an average of 17.8 seconds between pitches and Bob Howry the slowest at 26.8. And although the PITCH F/X times likely have different starting and end times, it's interesting to note that the MLB rules state that a pitcher is suppose to only have 12 seconds to deliver the ball once he gets it back from the catcher and the batter is in the box. It's also interesting to note that Steve Trachsel is not the slowest pitcher in the league...that honor goes to Indians reliever Rafael Betancourt.

- Eric Patterson's call-up was a bit of a surprise due to to Soriano's injury, not only to Cubs fans, but Patterson himself. Unfortunately he found himself scrambling for a passport so he could fly to Toronto with the team. They flew out yesterday, so I assume all is fine, otherwise you'd have to expect a roster move and an unfortunate demotion for Patterson.

- Zambrano was actually moved up a day in the rotation with the off-day on Monday. Does anyone else think Lou did it keep Z's bat in the lineup with the Cubs going on the road for two inter-league series?

- Supplemental first-round pick Ryan Flaherty will be sticking at shortstop for the time being and signing his contract when he arrives in Arizona. On the other hand, fourth round pick Matt Cerda, a shortstop out of Oceanside High School in California, will be moving to catcher immediately.

- Some fun you may have missed this week on TCR and around the web.

Enjoy the weekend!!!

Comments

I was going to post the link where Lou Piniella was found on Google Maps Street View, but they've updated the picture, replacing him. :-(

I strongly disagree with adding instant replay mid-season. Why don't they wait until next season?

What about all the games that were already played this season without the benefit if replay?

Can we bring back Questec while we're at it? Some of these umps... oh, brother.

And Cubbies back in Canada for first time since playing the Expos, right? Better brush up on that French. I wonder if the Cajuns know any French... hmmm...

The game is in Toronto, which is Ottawa

The game is in Toronto, which is Ottawa Ontario

Just add "eh" and you're bilingual enough to get by.

starts today...i guess he'll miss the first game against us.

Say you're Eric Patterson's agent. In March, you know this:

1. Your client plays for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs
2. The Cubs travel to Toronto in June
3. The chances your clients will be on the roster in June are - while probably not great (and you definitely wouldn't tell your client this) - they're probably better than 10-15%
4. Your client doesn't have a passport.
5. A passport takes roughly 6 weeks to come in if you do it the "normal" way
6. A passport is affordable by your client, lasts 10 years, and there's certainly a good chance your client will play in the American League sometime in the next 10 years. (Cubs hate Pattersons :-)

Do you:
A: Tell your client to apply for a passport
B: Tell your secretary to tell your client to apply for a passport
C: Go down to the post office and pretend you're your client and apply for a passport for him
D: Sip your pina colada at The Agents Club while telling Corey Patterson's agent, "I'm SO glad I'm not you!"