Fukudome to Bat Leadoff

One of our trusted readers tells us that he heard on WGN radio that Lou Piniella has decided to bat Kosuke Fukudome leadoff until Alfonso Soriano is back...or until Lou changes his mind again. I would assume that Jim Edmonds would get the bulk of the work at the five spot from now on, at least versus righties.

I also wanted to share this story that another reader found via the Sun-Times:

Mark DeRosa interrupted Matt Murton's back-in-the-big-leagues news conference Tuesday with the question most people want the answer to:

''Will you stop hitting swinging bunts and start driving balls out
of the ballpark with your quads the size of bricks?'' DeRosa said,
grinning. ''Let's ask the real questions. You going to hit some home
runs?''

Replied Murton: ''Why not?''

That's the even bigger question -- the one probably most responsible for keeping Murton in the minors longer than expected.

That is the million dollar question with Murton, now isn't it?

Comments

I've always wanted the kid to succeed (what Cub fan wouldn't?), but unfortunately he's going to have to step up now or never. Does he have to start hitting 300 and putting some balls in the seats? Perhaps not immediately, but you cannot have a below - average defender in that position if he doesn't.

I love this website.

Will Murt still lose playing time to Reed Johnson if Fukudome is batting leadoff? I sure hope not.

Ronny Cedeno's stats, last 30 days:

Here are his stats, for the last 28 days:

.194 .216 .222 .438
BA OBP OPS SLG

BLECH!

Of course... it might be relevant to mention that he has only had about 40 plate appearances over the last 30 days.

of course. of course, it is the MLB, and in Lou's world, you produce if you want to play.

Hoot! There it is! Fukudome leading off. Here's hoping it works out better for Lou than Bruce (the formerly) Almighty has for Dustbag.

FUKUDOME
THERIOT
LEE
RAMIREZ
EDOMONDS
SOTO
DEROSA
HOFFPAUIR (DH)
CEDENO

(click on the gameday tab)

Good lineup, Lou. That'll work. Tough to find a good 9 hitter if you put Murton and left and play DeRosa at 2nd. Could just give DeRosa the night off and still hit Ronny 9th, I guess.

EDIT: The more I think about it, I guess DeRosa isn't a terrible 9 hitter. Gets on base in front of the leadoff guys. Would like some speed out of the 9 hole, though. Not to sound like Dusty or anything.

Listening to Lou - Reed out 'til Friday the earliest.

Fucked his back up on that last play - the failed bunt.

Oh - also, Dome will be leading off against LH & RH hitters.

the Rays are for real. Their pitching staff reminds me of the 2003 Cubs.

Win one, and its another .500 road trip.

Crisp rumors shot down, hopefully that's true.

The Crisp rumors came from Sullivan at the Trib, not the SunTimes, so how are they shot down?

Don't answer that.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

The E-Man 14 min 17 sec ago view
  • Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

billybucks 1 hour 29 min ago view
  • Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 2 hours 18 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 2 hours 47 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 16 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view