Fukudome to Bat Leadoff

One of our trusted readers tells us that he heard on WGN radio that Lou Piniella has decided to bat Kosuke Fukudome leadoff until Alfonso Soriano is back...or until Lou changes his mind again. I would assume that Jim Edmonds would get the bulk of the work at the five spot from now on, at least versus righties.

I also wanted to share this story that another reader found via the Sun-Times:

Mark DeRosa interrupted Matt Murton's back-in-the-big-leagues news conference Tuesday with the question most people want the answer to:

''Will you stop hitting swinging bunts and start driving balls out
of the ballpark with your quads the size of bricks?'' DeRosa said,
grinning. ''Let's ask the real questions. You going to hit some home
runs?''

Replied Murton: ''Why not?''

That's the even bigger question -- the one probably most responsible for keeping Murton in the minors longer than expected.

That is the million dollar question with Murton, now isn't it?

Comments

I've always wanted the kid to succeed (what Cub fan wouldn't?), but unfortunately he's going to have to step up now or never. Does he have to start hitting 300 and putting some balls in the seats? Perhaps not immediately, but you cannot have a below - average defender in that position if he doesn't.

I love this website.

Will Murt still lose playing time to Reed Johnson if Fukudome is batting leadoff? I sure hope not.

Ronny Cedeno's stats, last 30 days:

Here are his stats, for the last 28 days:

.194 .216 .222 .438
BA OBP OPS SLG

BLECH!

Of course... it might be relevant to mention that he has only had about 40 plate appearances over the last 30 days.

of course. of course, it is the MLB, and in Lou's world, you produce if you want to play.

Hoot! There it is! Fukudome leading off. Here's hoping it works out better for Lou than Bruce (the formerly) Almighty has for Dustbag.

FUKUDOME
THERIOT
LEE
RAMIREZ
EDOMONDS
SOTO
DEROSA
HOFFPAUIR (DH)
CEDENO

(click on the gameday tab)

Good lineup, Lou. That'll work. Tough to find a good 9 hitter if you put Murton and left and play DeRosa at 2nd. Could just give DeRosa the night off and still hit Ronny 9th, I guess.

EDIT: The more I think about it, I guess DeRosa isn't a terrible 9 hitter. Gets on base in front of the leadoff guys. Would like some speed out of the 9 hole, though. Not to sound like Dusty or anything.

Listening to Lou - Reed out 'til Friday the earliest.

Fucked his back up on that last play - the failed bunt.

Oh - also, Dome will be leading off against LH & RH hitters.

the Rays are for real. Their pitching staff reminds me of the 2003 Cubs.

Win one, and its another .500 road trip.

Crisp rumors shot down, hopefully that's true.

The Crisp rumors came from Sullivan at the Trib, not the SunTimes, so how are they shot down?

Don't answer that.

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 2 hours 47 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 3 hours 13 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.