Ex-Chicago-Managers-Get-Another-Chance Week Continues

Ex-Sox skipper Jerry Manuel is already in place in New York. Now, the heads are continuing to roll in Seattle. The M's have canned manager John McLaren and replaced him with bench coach and former Cubs manager Jim Riggleman.

After three seasons running the Padres, Riggleman managed the Cubs from '95 through '99 and went 374-419 (.472). The team's best season under Riggs was in 1998, The Year of Sammy, when they went 90-73 and won a one-game playoff against the Giants to reach the post-season.

Comments

When I think of Jim Riggleman, I think of his peculiar tight uniform. I'm not sure if this says more about Riggleman or me.

Riggleman did wear a tight uniform, but I still think you might want to consider counseling...just in case.

you might want to consider counseling...just in case.

Oh, for sooo many reasons. : )

HAHAHA!

I'll never forget the day I was heading up the stairs to the platform at the Addison L station on my way to work, and I passed Jim Riggleman heading down the stairs on his was to work. I thought it was freakin' cool that the Cubs' manager took the El to Wrigley.

He also says no MRI was performed today, but he was examined. He will be on ESPN 1 K shortly and I will update my post with more info if their is anything to add.

(Update): He will also have a sonogram tomorrow with his MRI and he felt better today than he did last night.

Olney from a chat wrap:
Kevin (Manassas): With Edmonds playing much better lately, will the Cubs stick with him and Johnson in CF, and look to acquire another SP, or will they still look to acquire a left handed bat also?

SportsNation Buster Olney: Kevin: the feeling of rival executives is that the Cubs will be aggressive in trying to improve their team as much as they can, with what they have (and the Cubs don't have a deep farm system). If they can get a better pitcher, they'll do it; if they can get a better outfielder for the right price, they'll do it. Most teams will lay back and essentially keep the status quo, with some tinkering, but the Cubs are sending signals that they're ready to upgrade

they had an Indians beat writer who speculated that if they do deal CC, the one thing they're minor league system is missing is a big, middle of the order bat, probably a corner spot...unfortunately the Cubs system is missing that too.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

billybucks 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.

• He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.

• draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.

filter by team.

• Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79

QuietMan 13 hours 17 min ago view
  • Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.

• Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?

On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!

• - The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
    - Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
    - There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
    - We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
    - We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
    EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.

Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
    Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.

• Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?

• I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues

Eric S 16 hours 45 min ago view
  • HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...

• "The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."

Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!

Brick 16 hours 53 min ago view
  • "Drink copiously but responsibly."

Done and done. Thanks for that.

Brick 16 hours 53 min ago view