Game 85 Recap: Cubs 6, Giants 5
Up All Night
W - Marmol (2-3), kids scarfing garlic fries, parachat costumes
L - Walker (3-4), lucking into a "Win" decision, not getting a play by play due to kids scarfing garlic fries
S - Wood (21), Fontenot
Things to Take from This Game
1. Dempster pitches well enough to win.
Six innings pitched, 2 runs, 2 walks, seven Ks. He left with a lead and certainly deserved to improve his road-game record. As best as I could tell on a weak mlb.tv feed and inattentive broadcasters, Dempster featured a good slider tonight, getting a bunch of swinging strikes. He didn't get the decision because...
2. Marmol has another bad moment
After easily putting down the first two batters in the bottom of the seventh with strikeouts, Marmol gave up a walk, a hit, and a three run blast to Ray Durham. Bowker had hit one into McCovey Cove in the previous inning off Dempster, so the Giants five runs came on two swings of the bat.
3. Fontenot gets the final word
The Cubs scoring began with the Matt Murton Approved Run-scoring GIDP. Edmonds hit yet another swing-from-my-ass opposite-field 2-run HR, and Soto had a two-run single set up by a Fukudome and Theriot double-steal. (Fukudome would have been in danger at third, had there been a throw.) Fontenot broke a 5-5 tie in the 8th with a home run to nearly the same spot Durham hit his in the pavillion-thingy in right. A two-out triple not-withstanding, Wood nailed down the save in the ninth.
-and-first-recap-in-a-long-time-and-right-before-going-on-a-road-trip-and-probably-being-away,-again details, below....
Inning 1 - Top
- Fukudome swings at the first pitch, pops out to left. Sparce crowd it looks like at Pac Bell.
- 3-1 on Theriot. Ball four on a very close pitch low and outside. Rookie ump tonight; the color commentator guy for the San Fran broadcast on mlb.tv says he's a good ump. Beats me. Name is Angel Campos.
- Ball one to Lee. Moves to a full count.
- Lee lines to right. Winn gets twisted around a bit, but catches it at the hip.
- Theriot steals, and the throw is way wide of the base, sailing into center. Theriot takes third.
- Correia K's Soto looking at a fastball on the low outside corner. Nice pitch. Theriot left at third.
Inning 1 - Bottom
- Lewis flies out to Murton in left, I'm told. my mlb.tv missed it. Jerks.
- Durham lines one right at Fukudome.
- The game tonight is some sort of support-the-troop and honor-the-vets game, being broadcast to the military around the world. I'm told the Cubs are wearing special hats, but my crummy feed can't distinguish it.
- Winn lines a single opposite field to Murton.
- Wicked slider (I think, it's hard to say - acted more like a slider than a split) to K Rowand swinging.
Inning 2 - Top
- Feed returns just in time to see Edmonds walk on a pitch low and inside.
- DeRosa with a nice inside-out single to right. Edmonds to third. On an 0-2 count, low outside fastball.
- Murton reaches to protect on a 2-2 pitch, rolls into an easy 4-6-3. Run scores. 1-0 Cubs.
- Fontenot walks. Third walk in two innings.
- Dempster rolls out to Durham.
Inning 2 - Bottom
- Bowker with a fly down the left field foul line, Murton with a nice running catch
- Aurilia flies to Edmonds
- Elizier Alfonzo K's swinging. Dempster pitching slowly, but looks sharp.
Inning 3 - Top
- Fukudome rolls out to Aurilia at third.
- Theriot taps out in front of the plate, Alfonzo makes the play, 2-3.
- Lee singles to center. (my feed sucks. I'm told this happened.)
- Soto pops a high curveball into shallow right. Winn gets it.
Inning 3 - Bottom
- Vizquel lines to Theriot.
- Dempster walks Corrreia on five pitches. Last one a fastball wild inside.
- Lewis K's looking at a fastball.
- Durham lines a double down the right field line. Correia is held at third, somewhat to the surprise of the broadcasters.
- 3-0 on Winn. Walks on the next pitch.
- 0-2 on Rowand.
- Rowand K's swinging at a breaking pitch
Good grief, the commercials on mlb.tv are three times louder than the broadcast.
Inning 4 - Top
- Edmonds lines one toward the right field corner. Winn runs over, cuts it off just short of the warning track, Edmonds holds at first.
- DeRosa K's swinging at a slider
- Murton flies to right
- The San Fran telecast is fixated on a toddler, probably not even two, who is just scarfing the garlic fries. They go to a split-screen of him and the game. Pretty funny, or at least as funny as making fun of early signs of childhood obesity can be
- Dempster rolls out, 3-1 I think. Hard to follow amidst the garlic fry scarfing babe.
Inning 4 - Bottom
- Bowker pulls one into the Cubs dugout, hits someone. Dunno the situation.
- Then lines one opposite field to left for a single
- Aurillia pops to shallow center. Edmonds gets it.
- While the SF broadcast is interviewing some Navy serviceman, Alfonzo rolls into a nicely turned 6-4-3.
Inning 5 - Top
- Dempster K's swinging at a fastball
- Fukudome flies to Rowand, who is swung way over into left center.
- Theriot pops to Durham in shallow right. It pops out of Durham's glove, but he recovers to catch it with the bare hand.
It is offensive, how loud the commercials get between innings on mlb.tv
Inning 5 - Bottom
- Vizquel grounds out 3-1.
- Correia K's swinging
- So does Lewis. Between the San Fran telecast not covering the game half as much as the military-honoring and toddler-eating-fries stuff, a spotty feed, and having to keep the sound down from fear of the loud commercials, this is a pretty thin game recap.... Hard to catch exactly what's going on.
Inning 6 - Top
- Lee grounds one to Aurilia's right. Nice backhand, out at first.
- Soto lines a double down the left-field line. San Fran broadcaster doesn't know how many outs there are.
- Long battle, 3-2 count, Edmonds finally lines a home run opposite field, just into the stands over the funky cartoon cars in left. 3-0 game.
- DeRosa K's looking
- Murton lines a single back up the middle on an 0-2 pitch
- Fontenot lines a 400 foot drive to the warning track in left center, Rowand tracks it down. Tough out.
Inning 6 - Bottom
- Durham dumps one in to left center for a single.
- Winn flies out to right-center. Fukudome gets it
- From a 3-1 count, Rowand swings and misses at a couple of hard sliders. Now, at least, the anouncers are verifying that what I am seeing is a slider, not a split. Durham steals second on the K.
- Bowker hits one into McCovey's cove. Interesting swing he puts on the ball, sort of level and abbreviated, but no doubt about it. 3-2 game. Also interesting that there's only one kayak out in the cove, nowadays.
- Aurilia pops to Fukudome
Inning 7 - Top
- Dempster bounces to Aurilia
- Fukudome lines one past Correia, up the middle for a single
- Sergio Romo (who?!?!?) in to pitch to Theriot.
- Theriot pops a bunt up in the air and down the first base line. Romo races for it, dives head first, into Theriot who is running in fair territory. Disaster averted, everyoen ok, ball is ruled a foul ball, but it looked like it landed fair, to me. There's some loudmouth who has been yelling at the players and umps all game, being picked up by the microphones on the san fran broadcast, and he's all over the umps for not calling interference
- Fastball from Romo sails in on Theriot, gets him above the hip, maybe in the low ribs. Theriot's in pain. This same douchebag is yelling "karma sucks!" at Theriot.
- Romo has lots of movement, but doesn't know where it's going. One gets away from the catcher, but Fukudome and Theriot can't advance.
- 3-2 pitch, double steal. Lee looks at a rolling slider right down the middle, might have frozen Lee. No throw, runners move to 2nd and 3rd. Announcers say that Alfonzo would have had Fukudome out at third "by a mile."
- Soto singles up the middle, both runs score. 5-2 game. Slider over middle of the plate
- Edmonds walks. Romo sure doesn't have it tonight.
- DeRosa strikes out swinging at a fastball.
Inning 7 - Bottom
- Marmol in, K's Alfonzo swinging
- and Vizquel K's on a check swing on a slider, I think
- replay of that double-steal shows that while no one was covering second, Fukudome did get a really poor jump for third, and likely would have been out had he drawn a throw.
- Travis Denker, who is even more unknown than Sergio Romo, pinch hits for Romo. Walks on five pitches.
- Lewis singles in to right, Denker to second.
- First pitch to Durham, he hits one just over the tall wall in right, into what they are calling the "arcade" I guess. Whatever, it's a 5-5 game on the 3 run HR. And the inning started so well, too....
- And just like that, Marmol's back to 96 mph fastball strike, 82 mile slider strike, something offspeed for a week roller out to Lee. Winn out, inning over.
Inning 8 - Top
- Tyler Walker pitching.
- Murton rolls out to Durham
- Fontenot pounds a high fastball out to right, almost the same spot Durham hit his, just a bit further back and to the left. 6-5 game. No doubt about that HR.
- Eric Patterson hits for Marmol, pops out on first pitch, to Aurilia just in front of the giants dugout
- Vizquel makes a nice play on a roller in the hole, gets Fukudome by a step at first.
Inning 8 - Bottom
- Howry in.
- Rowand pops to Fontenot just into the right field grass
- Bowker K's swinging at a high fastball
- Aurillia hits one into that cavernous, cavernous right-center field. Maybe 400 feet, but easy out for Fukudome.
Inning 9 - Top
- Keichi Yabu in to pitch
- Theriot flies out to Winn
- Yabu sails one up at Lee. Not that far inside, but very much head-high. looks like it just got away from him
- Long battle, Lee finally K's swinging at a 3-2 splitter
- Another one gets away from Yabu, gets Soto on the left arm, maybe the elbow. Neither pitch has seemed intentional.
- Another long battle, 3-2 count on Edmonds. Finally, finally Ks swinging at a fastball
Inning 9 - Bottom
- Wood in. Alfonzo rolls one to DeRosa, who ranges over from third toards shallow shortstop to make the play.
- Bengie Molina hits for Vizquel, strikes out on three pitches. Swings at flails at a high fastball
- Jose Castillo (he's still around?) hits for Yabu
- and on a 3-1 pitch, hits one into that huge right-center field for a triple. oh boy.
- Lewis K's staring at a big curveball, game over.
- The pregame festivities
- The TB/BOS game
- Longoria Love
- Gay hillbilly southerners
- Surviving conservative areas.
- Honoring the troops.
- We miss Len and Bob.
- The Mets' Bullpen.
- BEES!!!!!!!!! (12 million of them!)
- Ramirez's return.
- Pedrioa screws up his attempt at the cycle by doubling.
- evaluating the run-scoring GIDP
- Kissing your Sister.
- Job situations.
- the TCR College.
- Courses offered at the TCR College
- The origin of "BEES!!"
- Are we post-Dumpster for Dempster? (Yes.)
- bizmarquis2 will leave if crunch threatens to put a boot or anything else up his ass.
- Impersonating bad WGN syndicated TV shows
- Crunch: "some cable station needs to make a channel that shows noting but Cops and Married With Children 24/7...call it the Fuck Yeah Channel"
- More interesting details about Corner Gas
- We've had Becker, Corner Gas, and now The Andy Griffith Show show up in parachat.
- Discussion of "classic" TV Shows: Mr. Ed, Night Court, You Can't Do That on Televsion, etc.
- Girls Club?
- Dennis Eckersly's haircut.
- DeRosa is a scruggster. (not really a scrapper, or a slugger, or a speedster = scruggster)
- The garlic-fry scarfing cherrub.
- Can you learn anything listening to Pat and Ron? (God, the things you learn, yes..)
- The mousy voice on the Navy guy being interviewed
- Dempster's mechanics
- Making fun of WGN commercials, and the herpes-spreading, insecure-about-penis-size, garden-claw using, foster-kid loving people who patronize them.
- Andy doesn't have furniture because____________
- The reactions of people entering parachat to the TV Show Names is pretty darn funny.
- Chris Snyder's fractured testicle. Ouch.
- What does Rich Hill need?
- Family Matters
- testicular trauma vs. testicular fracture
- The A Team and Murder, She Wrote.
- And Laverne and Shirley, and Silver Spoons
- and Animaniacs
- and Blossom
- And Mr. Belvedere and Wonderfalls
- And at this point I can't keep up, as in come Punky Brewster, You Can't Do that on TV, Clarissa Explains it All, Life Goes On, and Matlock. The rest of the chronicling I'll leave up to the comments.
- Cheering Edmonds.
- And suddenly, the theme has switched to pop music. Ace of Base, Jesus Jones, Sugar Ray and Falco are here.
- Spin Doctors, Hanson and Crash Test Dummies
- I give up.
- Tampa Bay
- Other Games
- Theriot gets hit in the scrap.
- More on fractured testicles
- Soto's single
- Weekend series with the Cards
- We love Jim Edmonds.
- Autographing Chad's prophylactics.
- We're informed that there was good reason why LaRussa used to hit Edmonds in the two-hole. Dear god.
- Tie game, boo.
- All the ways in which Jeff Kent is a jerk.
- We like Fontenot
- Will Edmonds turn into a pumpkin? (Yes)
- Will Ramirez make the All Star Team? (Yes)
- Soriano's return
- approval ratings
- Why does TCR attract the riff-raff? (eh, we're all riff raff, just in different degrees)
- Pie's problems
- AAAA players.
- Following the bottom of the 9th.
Cubs record in games recapped improves to 11-5
he held on a popup (in case he needed to tag up) that bounced off the wall then jogged to 3rd. there were 0 outs so that probably played into the casual nature of how he played it.
Not watching -- how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
Well I assume Ross is going to catch Lester in the playoffs, and it looks like Contreras is going to catch everyone else. I could see the Cubs keeping three catchers on the playoff roster as it would give them flexibility and Montero would have a left handed bat with some pop (at least historically) off the bench.
Aren't Montero and Ross already in a tie for third catcher?
Higher than Chris Perez's mailbox.
Contreras starting at catcher for a day game after he caught the night before. What do people think the odds are that Montero is left off the post-season roster, or is at best the third catcher?
Does he project as a starter, a relief pitcher, or is it too soon to tell?
Rizzo getting a well deserved breather today with Bryant at 1B. Soler back in lineup batting cleanup and playing LF, otherwise all of the all-stars batting 1-5 again (what a luxury)
in his last 11 innings, he has 21K, 6BB, 4 hits and one ER. Nice!
5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)
sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.
My guy Addy
oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.