Game 135 Thread / Phillies @ Cubs (2 of 4)
|SP||Joe Blanton||SP||Rich Harden|
|(NL)||1-0, 4.03, 27 K, 15 BB, 38 IP||(NL)||4-1, 1.47, 70 K, 14 BB, 49 IP|
|SS||#Jimmy Rollins||LF||Alfonso Soriano|
|CF||#Shane Victorino||SS||Ryan Theriot|
|2B||*Chase Utley||1B||Derrek Lee|
|1B||*Ryan Howard||3B||Aramis Ramirez|
|LF||Pat Burrell||CF||*Jim Edmonds|
|RF||Jayson Werth||2B||Mark DeRosa|
|3B||*Greg Dobbs||RF||*Kosuke Fukudome|
|C||Carlos Ruiz||C||Henry Blanco|
|P||Joe Blanton||P||*Rich Harden|
A few aftershocks from last night's game...the come from behind win was the 38th for the Cubs this season, second to the Yankees 39. It was their 19th win when trailing in the seventh inning or later, best in baseball ahead of their current foe - the Phightin Phils.
Today, ex-teammates do battle as Rich Harden and Joe Blanton take the mound. I'm sure a steak dinner at Morton's is on the table for the winner.
Some more game notes fun after the jump...
- Mark DeRosa has an extra base hit in eight straight games. He is only the second Cub to do that since 1956, the other was Derrek Lee last season, who went nine games from April 23-May 4th. He's also the second player in the majors to do it this year, the other being his second base counterpart on the Phillies, Chase Utley.
- The Cubs own the best record in baseball and the best record in baseball since the All-Star break.
- With three games still to play this month, the Cubs have already set their high mark for victories in a month with 19, surpassing their 18 wins in May.
- The Cubs have a 6.5 game lead in the Central, their largest lead in the division since the end of the 1984 season.
- I love this fucking team.
j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er
zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8
heyward 0-4 :(
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.