Pins and Needles

UPDATE (5:23 PM CST): Zambrano did see Dr. Gryzlo and was suppose to have an MRI today, but missed his appointment. Odd behavior. The MRI has been rescheduled for tomorrow. Sean Marshall will take his next start on Sunday versus the Reds.

Four game losing streak...unfortunate.

Offense struggling a bit...it happens to the best of them.

Carlos Zambrano going to see an orthopedic specialist...holy shit!!

And now Cub fans breathlessly await the results. The season may not hang in the balance but the difference between a dominating playoff rotation versus hopes and prayers does.

If Zambrano has to miss some starts or hit the disabled list for a few weeks, it means Sean Marshall to the rotation. In the short term, that's probably not much of a difference, especially with the way Z has pitched lately. After his last DL trip, Z returned with five starts and a 1.78 ERA before August hit, so maybe a little more rest will do him good. If it ends up being a more serious injury that puts the playoffs in jeopardy, then the Cubs will have to consider starting Jason Marquis in a playoff game and I'll have to consider slitting my wrists.

Bulletin board fodder from Carsten Charles after the jump...

It seems Sabathia thinks the Brewers are the best team in the National League. I guess he should think that, even if defies logic and reality.

Sabathia says he thinks the Brewers have a good shot at winning the
World Series this year and are the best team in the National League. He
has a lot of confidence. And he has no problem with the Brewers using
him a lot of innings. Sabathia told Dan that he lets the manager know
he doesn't want to leave the game.

If you ignore the standings, the stats, the run differential and the four game sweep by the Cubs on the road and I think Sabathia is on to something.

Photo approved by Glendon Rusch.

Comments

I heard the interview, Patrick asked him who was the best team in the NL. He said something along the lines of "I'd have to say us", implying that he knew the Cubs were better, but that in the immortal words of David Puddy he's "gotta support the team".

I listened to it as well, it was pretty tame. But I can't pass up any chance to poke fun at the Brewers.

+1 for the caption.

I'll wait until mid-October to express my disagreement with his comments.

6-2 Muts in the bottom of the 7th. Pitching change with a man on first.

It is not my habit to listen to ESPN radio, but did anyone else hear Cowherd this morning write off the Cubs completely? Wow, and you thought the headless chicken fans were freaking out. He blames Lou entirely for overusing the starters. He was downright bleak.
While the pitching concerns me, the HIDP and leaving men on base bothers me more. Vintage Cubbery.

Cowherd is a schrutebag.

To the 8th in Milwaukee..

"Cowherd is a schrutebag."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Overusing his starters? Good call Colin.

lol... That's sort of like Bill Clinton saying oil would never come back down below $100/barrel again.

could be back by the end of the month, although it appears they would put him in the pen...which they sorely need help with.

Wow -- I had forgotten all about him.

on a two-out single.

Brewers fell asleep and let them steal third and second with 2 outs.