Heads We Win, Tails They Lose

While Bud Selig was busily hiding his head in the sand regarding Hurricane Ike and catering to Drayton McLane's need to collect cotton candy revenue from this weekends games in Houston, the MLB powers that be had the annual coin flip for playoff tiebreaker games.

The Brewers won the flip for any NL Central tiebreaker between the Cubs and Brewers as it will be played in Miller Park. Of course, it's the Cubs home away from home and after the week of July 27th (not to mention the Brewers recent homestand performance against the Mets, Padres and Reds), I guess it's not a bad place for the Men in Blue to play. The regular season ends for the Cubs in Milwaukee on Sept. 28th so why not just do a day night doubleheader? I mean if they are considering rescheduling one or two of this weekends washouts on Monday Sept. 29th. Might as well make a travesty out of the whole season wrapup.

The Phillies got control of the lucky penny as they won all the home field advantages you can gather including wildcard tiebreakers vs Milwaukee, St. Louis and Houston. They even won the tiebreaker homefield if they have to play game #163 vs the Mets.

In the AL, tiebreaker games could be in Boston for both wild card or AL East,  vs Tampa Rays, for the AL East or vs. The Twins for the wild card playoff game.  US Commiscular will be causing havoc on the Dan Ryan, if the WSox tie the Twins after 162 regular season games.The AL didn't need to flip as much this year thanks to the franchise called the LA Angels of Anaheim from the OC near Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm.

Most of the time this stuff is a waste of good coin flippage, but go tell that to the 2007 Padres.

Comments

Personally, I blame Michael Barrett.

This may have already been mentioned, but "whispers" reported on WGN radio about 30 minutes ago were that Houston was relenting, and playing the series in Milwaukee was looking more and more likely. They sounded hesitant to discuss it for some reason, and it's clearly unconfirmed.

• The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 3 hours 55 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 4 hours 9 min ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 8 hours 20 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 9 hours 26 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 9 hours 52 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 10 hours 19 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 11 hours 48 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 13 hours 22 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 15 hours 2 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 15 hours 4 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 15 hours 6 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 15 hours 8 min ago view