Game 150 Thread / Brewers @ Cubs (2 of 3)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Ben Sheets SP Jason Marquis
13-8, 2.97, 155 K, 45 BB, 194 IP
10-8, 4.36, 84 K, 60 BB, 154.2 IP

CF Mike Cameron LF Alfonso Soriano
2B #Ray Durham 2B *Mike Fontenot
3B Ryan Braun 1B Derrek Lee
1B *Prince Fielder 3B Aramis Ramirez
SS J.J Hardy CF *Jim Edmonds
RF Corey Hart RF Mark DeRosa
3B *Craig Counsell C Geovany Soto
C Jason Kendall SS Ryan Theriot
P Ben Sheets P *Jason Marquis

The Marlins took care of business for the Cubs, so it means a Cubs sweep will clinch the division. Tonight is the win they'll have to steal with Marquis on the mound against Ben Sheets.

Comments

For those who were discussing it earlier: Here's the 2005 announcement and drawings of the proposed new construction.

So far we've got the new field and the new bleachers.

Barring an act of God, there shall be recappage. Stop by parachat and abuse me.

Oh good! Gentlemen start your engines.

I think we're tied with Anaheim in losses. Don't feel like looking it up. I just got a sudden re-angering over getting Uggla'ed in the ASG. That son of a bitch.

Hey -- he's Prince Fielder, not Teddy Fucking Ballgame.

Somebody get that fat shit out.

Open casting call for the role of "major league caliber middle reliever" will be held tomorrow at 9am.

Tell your friends.

Chad -- we need you!

I'm more of an middle infielder my trade. I can throw some good junk, but I can't really dial it up much past 70.

Never thought I would say this when the trade was made...but Chad Gaudin if healthy will be very useful in the playoffs. He may even be the 'key' to the bullpen...sad thought, but after Wood and Marmol everything is pretty shaky. Cotts comes in as your 3rd best reliever.

espn was blacked out in my area had to listen
to the brewers network on fox north i think it is
the announcers werent bad, but every inning they missed the first
pitch and one inning they missed the first 2 batters but overall
a waste of my time, dont think guzman did anything to secure his
playoff presence.

• rare air though if he can keep it under 2. Sounds like Maddon already made up his mind though and Hendricks seems like the sort that would want to earn it. Guessing he gets a quick hook if he's still under 2 after 5 innings.

Fwiw, he can give up 1 ER in 5 innings (or more) and still be under 2. If he gives up 2 ER, he would need throw 9 IP to keep it under 2. 1 ER in 4 IP would give him an ERA of exactly 2.

In terms of WAR, it's still Scherzer by a lot (6.4), then Cueto (5.6), Lester (5.5), Kershaw (5.5), Roark (5.4), and then Hendricks (5.1)

Rob G. 25 min 50 sec ago view
  • Boring lineup tonight in terms of guys trying to reach milestones -- no KB (40 HR), Addy (100 RBI) or JHey (can he keep it going?), and Lackey isn't really going for anything, plus the team has already reached 100 wins. I get the "rest" thing, although they will have 4 days off after Sunday, but....bleh.

billybucks 1 hour 9 min ago view
  • Agree -- I think you want to keep him on a regular schedule.

billybucks 1 hour 29 min ago view
  • Ramos torn ACL

jacos 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • Sure, its not about his record.

jacos 1 hour 58 min ago view
  • Do you start him Sunday or not?

@jonmorosi Pitchers w/ sub-2.00 ERA in year of 185+ IP this century: Pedro ’00, Clemens ’05, Kershaw ’13/’14, Arrieta ’15, Greinke ’15, Hendricks ’16.

• Yeah -- that would be rough for him. But, Monty is getting people out, he's a lefty and he has experience working out of the bullpen. Hammel? None of the above.

• even if he's not starting, abandoning hammel would be a bit of a 'screw you.' i think it might be -monty +hammel, but it's speculation.

either way, someone's gonna be disappointed.

• Joe said he is leaning towards 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

- 4 starters, Chapman, Rondon, Strop, CJ, Wood, Grimm, Monty. No dice for Cahill or Smith.
    - 3 catchers, Rizz, Zo, Addy, KB, Javy, Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Coghlan, TLS and then Sczcur over Almora?

• Cubs 3B Jason Vosler made two really bad throws on consecutive AB in the 8th. Fortunately the game was no longer in doubt at the time

The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 2 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Despite the HR, Donnie Dewees is really more of a slash hitter (the HR was an opposite-field line-drive) who can accumulate lots of doubles & triples. He's also a good bunter and can get on base that way, too. Although he was thrown out trying to steal in the game, he's actually a good base-stealer and baserunner.

Defensively he has plus-range and tracks fly balls OK, so he can play CF, but he has a rag arm that requires the middle infielders to go out further into CF to make relays.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 3 min ago view
  • I don't know how many of you remember Bobby Knoop, who played 2B for the Angels, White Sox, and Royals back in the day, but he is a coach-emeritus for the Angels, and works with the infielders at Minor League Camp, Extended Spring Training, and Instructs. He's pretty spry for a 77-year old, and he really knows his shit.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 31 min ago view
  • With a big lead, Chapman was throwing sliders and changeups, something he's reluctant to do in a save situation. (Len and Jim covered this.)

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 39 min ago view
  • Maybe they have a bad owner, I don't know, but they still have players and fans and a franchise, all devastated by this loss of life. Plus, everybody who follows baseball is a fan of a guy like this. It's why I used the word tragedy, which other people throw around but I try to be careful with.

I'm at an age where I remember old incidents better than recent ones, but I have to go back to Herb Score for something as disturbing.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 55 min ago view
  • That was Dee Gordon's only HR this year. Wow.

• Thank you PHIL.

Glad you avoided temps in the 100s.

I remember you mentioning Dewees needng plenty of work in th IF. How are his OF instincts?

Also, did see much of Satchel McElroy? Only Satchel I have heard about other than the "orignal" and one of Woody Allen's kids.