Cubs vs. Dodgers

It's all settled, the Dodgers and their league-leading pitching staff will roll into Chicago starting Wednesday. The Cubs were 5-2 against them this season, including a three game sweep at home in three low-scoring games. They split a four game set in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers ride into October with a 17-7 record, albeit it against an extremely easy schedule (Padres, Diamondbacks, Giants, Rockies, Pirates).

I think the Cubs are the far superior team, but the Dodgers do have a good staff and the games will probably be close and low-scoring. That means a lucky break or two and the Dodgers can make this interesting.

Comments

Dodgers are going to be tough. The Dodgers team that we were 5-2 against didn't have Rafeal Furcal, Casey Blake or Manny Ramirez. A couple of games I do remember between the 2 teams was Z having a major meltdown on a Saturday afternoon. Kurudo probably had one of the most dominating pitching perfomances against us the night before.

Kuroda had gave up 4 hits and had 11 strikeouts on June 6th.

I would have much preferred the Mets obviously, but lets take the challenge and beat em!

I am pretty sure they still dont have Furcal.

(EDIT): He did come on 9/24 and is 2 for 8 since coming back.

Hilarious sign.

go cubs, etc.

wsux win,
make-up game tomorrow for wsux, if they win, tiebreaker on tuesday.

Honestly, I'm still glad we don't have to worry about facing Santana twice in a short series.

I bought 2 tix for game 4...hopefully I'll tix to game 3 from someone at work.

Just got Tix at StubHub to Game 3! C'mon Cubbies let's sweep, I want to be there to see that!

got 2 for $25 each for Game 3 last week, picked up 2 for $50 each (all you can eat) for Game 4 today from mlb.com

Okay, where's the stupid schedule? I can't find dates & times for the playoff games yet. Grrr...

NM, times TBD

ROB, CHAD - lucky day!

I'm sure you will be there with Cubs gear on.

Derek Lowe gives us fits. We generally have a tough time in general against slow tossing, sinker ball pitchers. I hope he has an off night and puts the ball in the zone.

just got my tix on ebay. hopefully the guy will come through 100% feedbak and his number was real high.

It's entirely conceivable the Rob and the Angel Fan wife could be attending a World Series game on opposing sides...

*awkward*

we'll go together, I fear for our children more.

RobG's kids in 20 years:

"I don't like baseball. For some reason, it reminds me of yelling."

5:30 CST for Game 1

8:30 CST for Game 2 (damn, that's late)

17 seconds left. Bears might actually pull this one out. Dare we dream?

Wow, game over. Amazing goal line stand.

Damn, I should have bet on this game.

• BRADSBEARD: Javier Assad was still pitching into the 6th inning, and the first batter he faced reached base on an E-4 (that was Assad's 70th and final pitch of the game). Then Leathersich relieved Assad and retired the second batter 4-3 (the runner at 1st base advanced to 2nd on the play), and then on an 0-1 pitch the third batter in the inning (second one faced by Leathersich) lined into an inning-ending 6-4 DP (baserunner doubled off 2nd base).

Arizona Phil 3 sec ago view
  • Wow. The site actually loaded without an error! Happy 4th all, and Go Cubs!

The E-Man 29 min 59 sec ago view
  • OK -- my 4th of July resolution is to try to stay more positive. So -- 10 games to the AS break, meaning the Cubs will be in first place at the break! First time since...2008? Also, hopefully, Willson, KB and Javy learned something about Familia yesterday that they can use in the future.

billybucks 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 2 hours 29 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 47 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 6 hours 26 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 6 hours 53 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 18 hours 54 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(