Billy Petrick Back on Hill

Brad Boyer put the Giants on the scoreboard with a solo home run in the bottom of the 6th and the Cubs were held to just three singles, as the Giants shutout the Cubs 2-0 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon.

RHP Billy Petrick, hampered by shoulder weakness since the start of Spring Training and on the Daytona Cubs DL since the end of May, got the start for the Cubs today, and he looked OK. He was removed with one out in the bottom of the 2nd inning after throwing 20 pitches (15 strikes), during which time he allowed one hit (a harmless single) and no walks, with one strikeout, a pop-up, and two ground outs.

Whether Petrick remains on the 40-man roster or gets outrighted to the minors remains to be seen, but I would think how he throws at Instructs will help the Cubs make that determination.

The Cubs bats were quiet today, so there really isn't much I can say about the offense except it needed a wake-up call but didn't get one.

Here is today's box score (Cubs players only):

LINEUP:
1. Tony Campana, RF: 0-4
2. Starlin Castro, SS: 0-3
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-3
4. Brandon Guyer, CF: 0-2 (2 K, HBP)
5. Rebel Ridling, 1B: 0-3
6. Jake Opitz, 2B: 2-3
7. Michael Brenly, DH #1: 0-3 (K)
8. Junior Lake, LF: 0-3 (K)
9. Juan Medina, C-DH: 0-2 (HBP)
10. Matt Cerda, DH-C: 1-3

PITCHERS:
1. Billy Petrick: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K (2/1 GO/FO) - 20 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Luke Sommer - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP (2/2 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Tommy Mejia - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K (3/3 GO/FO) - 22 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Andres Quezada - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR  (1/1 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Diego Encarnacion - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (1/2 GO/FO) - 28 pitches (18 strikes)

ERRORS: NONE

OUTFIELD ASSIST:
Junior Lake threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double.

WEATHER: Hot, cloudless, with only a very slight breeze
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)

Comments

nice to hear from you regularly again, phil.

also...this twins/wsox game is a hell of a game.

Agreed, crunch. Is it bad of me that I was hoping for an AJ injury on that play at home?

Well... on the bright side, I guess we can look forward to a "Windy City Series"

What a game by Danks. Very clutch. Nice catch to end the game, too. Both Chi teams in the playoffs.

The Cubs today picked up the 2010 option on manager Lou Piniella's contract.
---------------

Looks like Jake Opitz is doing very well in Instructs, have been hearing some great things about him. How does the rest of the squad look?