Billy Petrick Back on Hill
Brad Boyer put the Giants on the scoreboard with a solo home run in the bottom of the 6th and the Cubs were held to just three singles, as the Giants shutout the Cubs 2-0 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon.
RHP Billy Petrick, hampered by shoulder weakness since the start of Spring Training and on the Daytona Cubs DL since the end of May, got the start for the Cubs today, and he looked OK. He was removed with one out in the bottom of the 2nd inning after throwing 20 pitches (15 strikes), during which time he allowed one hit (a harmless single) and no walks, with one strikeout, a pop-up, and two ground outs.
Whether Petrick remains on the 40-man roster or gets outrighted to the minors remains to be seen, but I would think how he throws at Instructs will help the Cubs make that determination.
The Cubs bats were quiet today, so there really isn't much I can say about the offense except it needed a wake-up call but didn't get one.
Here is today's box score (Cubs players only):
1. Tony Campana, RF: 0-4
2. Starlin Castro, SS: 0-3
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-3
4. Brandon Guyer, CF: 0-2 (2 K, HBP)
5. Rebel Ridling, 1B: 0-3
6. Jake Opitz, 2B: 2-3
7. Michael Brenly, DH #1: 0-3 (K)
8. Junior Lake, LF: 0-3 (K)
9. Juan Medina, C-DH: 0-2 (HBP)
10. Matt Cerda, DH-C: 1-3
1. Billy Petrick: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K (2/1 GO/FO) - 20 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Luke Sommer - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP (2/2 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Tommy Mejia - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K (3/3 GO/FO) - 22 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Andres Quezada - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR (1/1 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Diego Encarnacion - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (1/2 GO/FO) - 28 pitches (18 strikes)
Junior Lake threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double.
WEATHER: Hot, cloudless, with only a very slight breeze
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.