NLDS Game 1 Recap: Cubs 2, Dodgers 7
Things to Take from This Game
1. Cubs out to an early lead
2. Dempster's wildness catches up to him
The worrisome details, below...
- Wrigley looks gorgeous for the playoffs, from blimp-cam
- A cool 54 degrees, wind blowing in.
- Strike one looking, strike two fouled back to Furcal.
- a couple breaking pitches in the dirt, Furcal doesn't chase, 2-2 count.
- Third straight pitch in dirt, Furcal swings this time, whiffs. Throw down to first to complete the K.
- Splitter is biting, early tonight.
- Curve dropped in for strike, 1-2 count on Martin
- Second borderline fastball called a ball, now a 3-2 count. Crowd groans
- and Walks on a checked swing. Tough calls.
- And we get the first "what's with the glove movement?" explanation.
- Ramirez with an easy roller to Theriot close to the bag, underhand flip to DeRosa, easy turn for the DP at first. Inning over. Dempster looks sharp, but Dodgers also mostly holding off on the breaking stuff, and squeezed a bit on the fastball by the Ump. 14 pitches for Dempster even with the full-count walk
- Strike looking to start off Soriano. Fastball just off outside corner for a ball, big swing at a slider for strike 2. And waves at another slider low and in the dirt for strike three, gyeh.
- 3-2 on Fukudome. Rolls to first, Loney unassisted
- From behind in the count, Lee works it to another 3-2 count.
- Low and away, Lee walks
- 2-0 to Ramirez. Finally, outside corner is called, 2-1 count. Ramirez
then bounces into a 5-4 force, inning over. Lowe at 20 pitches
- 3-1 count, ball 4 outside to Ethier. It's a consistent strike zone, so far, just not especially expansive.
- Fastball looking, fastball swinging and it's 0-2 on Loney. Swings at a shoulder-high fastball, pops it up to DeRosa near second base.
- Kemp jammed, eazy fly to Fukudome in right.
- 0-2 on DeWitt, crowd on feet. No-go on the check-swing. Lazy fly to center on next pitch, Dempster gets around the leadoff walk. 29 pitches total
- Soto rolls out to Furcal
- Edmonds lines one just over the leaping Furcal's glove. tough pitch low and outside, real nice hitting.
- DeRosa skies a fly ball down the right field foul line. It really just sort of hangs there, floating out towards right, as I say to myself "hey, that's kind of getting deep..." Lands in the right field well, first row, just a few feet from the foul pole for a 2-run home run. 2-0 Cubs
- Lowe expresses his frustration a bit with thetight strike zone. 2-2 on Theriot.
- Wow, finally calls a fastball on a corner for a strike. Theriot K's looking.
- Dempster lines one out of Furcal's reach for a single.Outside fastball that caught just a bit too much of the corner.
- Soriano flies into shallow right, Furcal goes out to catch it. Inning over. Lowe at 38 pitches
- Blake pops a foul down the right field line. Fukudome goes over the pitchers' mound, which trips him up a bit, awkwardly extending both his legs. He stretches his glove hand out behind him as he staggers, and makes a nice catch. Seems to be OK.
- Count goes full to Lowe after a check-swing ball, then walks Lowe. Gyeh. Third walk by Dempster already
- Furcal waves through a pitch trying to bunt for a single.
- 3-2 to Furcal, Dempster missing high.
- And missing outside, ball four. Fourth walk. Lowe to second.
- Martin leans over plate to bunt, is almost hit by a pitch not that far inside.
- 1-2 on Martin. 2-2, fouling pitches off. Dempster pitch count suddenly over 50.
- Martin lines one into the left field well, but Soriano is on it and makes a running catch just short of the ivy. Scary second out.
- Dick Stockton tells us that Joe Torre won't let Manny Ramirez beat him. Uhh..
- Manny grounds one into the hole. Theriot makes a nice diving stop, slips a bit on the grass trying to get to his feet. Manny is hustling (yes, hustling) down the line, beats the throw. Bases loaded. Two outs. Ethier up.
- 1-2 to Ethier, ball 2 on a splitter in the dirt. Soto getting a good workout already, but is keeping everything in front of him.
- another splitter, again lays off, again Soto blocks it. 3-2 count
- Ethier swings through another splitter, this one up a bit (as in, not quite in the dirt), striking out. Dempster at 61 pitches, but no runs score.
- Fukudome fouls off a bunt attempt. 2-2 count. Hits a sharp grounder to DeWitt, out at first.
- 3-1 on Lee. fouls it over cubs dugout, 3-2. Then a sharp liner into left for a single. Some sort of breaking pitch that catches the middle of the plate.
- Ramirez bounces to Furcal, who backs up on a tough hop. Manages to turn the 6-4-3 without much difficulty. Inning Over. Lowe at 51 pitches.
- Ball One to Loney, gyeh.
- Loney with a lazy fly down the shallow left field line. Soriano with the leaping catch.
- Kemp with an easy bouncer to third, 5-3
- DeWitt loops one over Theriot, in front of Edmonds for a single.
- Blake inside-outs a line-drive right at Lee, who catches it on one knee. Dempster at 75 pitches.
- Soto with a sharp liner, but right at Kemp in center.
- Check-swing strike three on Edmonds.
- DeRosa wtih a single back up the middle. Another fastball that just barely tailed back over the outside corner.
- Theriot with a sharp opposite-field liner into right. DeRosa to second, two outs for Dempster.
- Dempster tries to sneak a bunt, fouls it off. Then waves at a slider way outside. Again, strike three, inning over. Lowe at 68 pitches
- Lowe grounds out to Theriot.
- 3-0 on Furcal, gets a high strike for 3-1. Outside, ball four, walk number five.
- 3-0 on Martin. Strike down the middle, taking all the way in front of Manny. 3-1.
- Phew. Martin with a lazy fly to Fukudome in shallow right.
- 0-2 on Manny, as he waves through a splitter low and a fastball that got a lot higher and a lot more of the plate than intended. Doesn't chase the next deliberately high fastball. 2-2 after another high fastball take. And again, 3-2.
- Ramirez finally walks on an inside fastball.. If nothing else, it looks like the game-plan is to pitch Manny inside. Runners on 1 and 2, two outs.
- Soto with yet another good stop on a pitch in the dirt to start off Ethier. 1-0 count.
- 3-1 to Ethier. Rothschild on the phone to the bullpen, now consulting with Lou. Soto sets up outside, Dempster misses inside, three walks in the inning, bases loaded for Loney. 2outs
- Rothschild to the mound. 7 walks so far. Samardzija and Marshall warming up. 102 pitches so far for Dempster
- Loney gifts us a swing at pitch one, strike.
- And another gift as he waves through a splitter
- Crowd gets up and cheers.
- Loney just, just, just JUST barely gets a bit of a splitter, Soto can't hang on, crowd cheers and groans
- High fastball, Soto has to reach way up for it. Egads. 1-2 count
- Loney hits a line drive out for a grand slam. Into maybe the third row of the bleachers just left of the center field clearing. 4-2 dodgers. A splitter or change that rolled in the middle of the zone.
- Kemp lines a double that rolls to the wall in left center. Hearing a few boos.
- Marshall in to pitch.
- K's DeWitt swinging at a curve.
- Soriano chases a series of sliders, K's. Soriano looking way over-aggressive so far.
- Fukudome rips a hanging slider to third. It clangs off Blake, rolls towards teh Cubs dugout. Ruled an error, TBS correctly calls it a "tough error"
- Pitchout to start off Lee. Odd.
- And throws over to first.
- 2-2 on Lee. Lee bounces up the middle, Furcal steps on the bag, 6-3 GIDP. Inning Over. Lowe at 80 through 5
- Marshall stays in.
- DeWitt grounds sharply to Lee down the line, 3 unassisted.
- Ron Darling just pronounced it "Jim Toe-MAY" Oh dear god.
- 3-0 count on Lowe. Walks on the next pitch. Fans boo.
- 1-0 on Furcal. 2-0. Marquis warming up.
- Sarcastic cheers for a called strike. But now 3-1.
- Hey, a called strike on the outside corner, for once. 3-2 count on Furcal. Then strikes out swinging on a breaking pitch, low and inside
- Ump suddenly calling the low outside corner... 1-1 on Martin. Soto with yet another block on a pitch in the dirt, 2-1 count.
- Martin lines one to left, Soriano with another nice running catch.
- Ramirez lines a double one-hopping the center field wall, leadoff double.
- 2-0 on Soto, now 2-1. Another take, 2-2 count. Soto misses a low slider, strike three.
- 2-0 on Edmonds. 2-1, pulls a grounder to second. 4-3 force. Ramirez to third, two outs for DeRosa
- DeRosa with another fly down the right-field line, but not as deep as he had to reach down and outside for the pitch. Flies out, ending the inning. Lowe at 94 pitches
- Marshall still pitching
- Manny fighting off a series of 0-2 pitches
- reaches down for a curveball, a pretty nice pitch actually, but launches it deep into the left-center bleachers. 5-2 Dodgers. Incredibly impressive home run by Manny. Vlad-esque.
- Ethier pops out to DeRosa
- Loney K's swinging.
- Kemp looks at a curve on the suddenly-called outside corner. Strike one.
- Kemp K's swinging at a curve, inning over.
- Cory Wade (WHO!?!?!) relieves Lowe.
- Theriot inside-outs a roll-out to Loney at first, unassisted
- Fontenot hits for Marshall, promptly lines a single tocenter
- A quick 0-2 on Soriano
- Jammed, pops out to DeWitt in shallow right.
- From 2-0 on Fukudome, a K swinging. Gyeh. Will have to do this against Broxton and Saito.
- Samardzija in
- DeWitt lines a double over Edmonds head. A bobble, and DeWitt, who was running all the way, makes it to third.
- Blake grounds a 3-2 pitch right back up the middle for a single, 6-2 dodgers.
- Jeff Kent with a guest appearnace pinch-hitting for Wade
- Kent with a slow bouncer to DeRosa, who fields it right in front of Blake. Blake hits the ground, so DeRosa throws to first. Lee throws back to second, where Theriot applies the tag. Double play
- Furcal flies out to deep left center, Soriano grabs it
- Broxton in.
- 2-2 pitch, Lee grounds sharply, right at DeWitt. 4-3
- Ramirez flies to Ethier down the right field line.
- Soto coaxes a walk.
- Edmonds lines one down the left field line, lands maybe one inch foul. Nuts
- Edmonds with a sharp liner to center. Kemp catches it on the warning track. Double Nuts.
- Marquis in to pitch
- and Martin lines a home run into the left-center basket. Good grief. 7-2 dodgers. Just a fastball down the middle
- Marquis K's Manny swinging on a slider
- Ethier with a fly out to deep center.
- and Loney rolls out to DeRosa.
- Greg Maddux, Salt, enter Game, Wounds.
- From 0-2 to 3-2 on DeRosa, rolls out to Furcal.
- Theriot lines one, Loney makes a leaping stretch for it, just off his glove. It rolls away, Loneywith the long shovel to Maddux. Theriot safe at first, he gets there just as Maddux does, but MAddux actually misses the bag with his foot. Maddux, being Maddux, then tags Theriot past the bag, in hopes Theriot had strayed into fair territory
- Ward hits for Marquis. Theriot takes second uncontested
- Ward grounds up the first base line. Loney unassisted, Theriot to third.
- Soriano jammed, loops out to Loney to end the game. A few stray boos can be heard as the game ends.
- Cubs win series in the second inning.
- What are you drinking?
- Leftover bloody mary from the thermos of it that I smuggled in to a brutal six hour meeting yesterday. Because the Sigg bottle of martini I smuggled to the meeting I had already finished.
- Cheering the GIDP to end the top of the first
- Catholic strippers.
- First calls to Fire Lou and Blame Barrett. Both were already long overdue.
- "i think gwynn swallowed a kazoo during one of his binges and it got stuck in his throat" - The Joe
- Complimenting the Dodgers lineup.
- Where was passion invented?
- Mongolia - nohit
- Porno, Passion and Bees In My Pants
- Parachat goes nuts on the home run
- Half-way to last year's total number of XBH by the Cubs in the playoffs. (2 then, 1 so far this year.)
- The lame playoff-baseball ad.
- This Old Cub. eh.
- McCain jokes.
- "Cubs 4-0 during Democratic Convention, 0-3 during Republican convention. Tha'ts all the politics we need to know" - Blockhead 25
- Getting antsy with Dempster.
- Sarah Palin
- Relieved with Soriano's fine catch.
- Reprising, once more, the Theriot Defense Debate.
- Tensely following the Ethier AB
- Loving and Knowing, Biblically.
- The playoff roster
- Mo Vaughn jokes. How oddly retro.
- "Ron Darling. Doc Gooden's cocaine caddy" - nohit
- Other 1980s Mets we hate.
- How many pitches will Dempster throw tonight?
- Oh dear god.
- Parachatters we wish were here.
- The tight strike zone.
- Manny's AB
- But I barely know her.
- Who is first out of the pen?
- Aaron B with the frank castillio shout-out
- Sad Parachat.
- Stupid debates about who should have started tonight.
- Mocking the importance of "playoff experience"
- H. Vaughn suggests electro-shock collars for the pitching staff.
- Where's Carlos?
- Blaming Barrett, Dusty.
- Ryno with the random "Heathers" reference. wow.
- Aaron comes back with "Not Without My Daughter." Double-wow.
- Night Court
- Night Court or Cheers?
- Night Court, and it's not even a debate.
- Our fond childhood memories of Markie Post on Night Court
- GAY WITCHCRAFT NIGHT COURT MARKIE POST SARAH PALIN RALLY ARABIC RALLY CAPS RALLY!
- Rally Beers
- I feel slightly better
- But parachat still is stressed.
- Mr. Whipple fucks me.
- Carlos arrives. No one notices.
- I feel much better.
- Rally Hebrew.
- Trannies, Deaf-muts, and Bobos.
- Mrs. Butterworth's bobos.
- Chad thinks he could hit Maddux.
- Pleading for a bobo-fueled rally.
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.