R.I.P., Kevin Foster

Former Cub pitcher Kevin Foster died over the weekend after losing a six-month battle with cancer. He was 39.

With a career ERA in the upper 4's and a middling won-loss record, Foster hardly stands out from the many forgettable Cub pitchers who populated the roster between 1994 and '98. ('"Jim Bullinger,'" anyone? Do I hear a "Willie Banks" or a "Rodney Myers"?)

Foster was different in at least one respect from the others, however. He was a local kid, who attended Evanston High School and grew up a Cubs fan.

Here's a clip from the game story written by Joey Reaves in the Tribune following Foster's Wrigley Field debut in June of '94. It describes an all-too familiar scenarioโ€”there's a storybook game in progress, and then the Cubs do what the Cubs do.

Rarely was a loss more fitting, more an absolutely perfect embodiment of a team, its fans and their frustrated history than Friday afternoon when hometown rookie Kevin Foster made his debut with the Chicago Cubs.

Foster, a baby-faced beanpole of a pitcher, held the Montreal Expos-the team with the second-best record in the National League-to three hits in seven innings and left with a 1-0 lead and the wind blowing in protectively off Lake Michigan at 12 m.p.h.

Neither the wind, though, nor the Cubs' bullpen were anywhere close to strong enough to hold back the inevitable. The Cubs turned another storybook ending into a fractured fairy tale.

Actually, it was Randy Milligan who did it. He crushed a two-run homer into and through the breeze with two outs in the eighth inning to put things back into perspective.

Chuck Crim (2-1) served up the home run and got the loss. But if it hadn't been him, it would have been someone else. Crim just happened to be on duty.

"It was a lifelong dream just to be out there," said Foster, a 1987 graduate of Evanston Township High School. "I tried to block everything out and do my job.

"I'm not going to celebrate, but it wasn't a heartbreak. Things like that happen, and you've just got to come back out there tomorrow and do your job again."

Ah, spoken like a true Cubbie...Foster was born a Cub fan. And born the perfect year: 1969...

What Foster wasn't when he was born, or even when he became a professional baseball player, was a pitcher. He started his pro career as a third baseman in, of all places, the Montreal Expos organization.

Felipe Alou, now manager of the Expos, was managing at West Palm Beach in the Florida State League in 1990 when Foster was hitting .167 and facing the real possibility of looking for a new line of work.

Alou suggested Foster try pitching, and...four years later...Alou was watching in awe as Foster mowed down his hitters.

(Foster) sailed harmlessly through the seventh inning when manager Tom Trebelhorn lifted him for a pinch-hitter...

That part of the strategy worked perfectly. It was the rest that failed when Trebelhorn went through three pitchers in a failed attempt to get through the eighth...

It was all too perfect.

"I don't know," said Foster. "I've seen the Cubs lose a lot of games. But I've seen them win a lot, too."

As a Cub, Foster went 32-28, and his best day in blue pinstripes was probably this one, when he and Randy Myers combined to shut out the Mets, and for a day, Foster was even better than Bret Saberhagen.

Comments

I'm adding a comment because I want to mark his passing and honor him. He lived the fantasy that most of us have had and now is gone far too soon. Between the fact that he died at 39 of cancer and grew up as a Cubs fan, I feel a greater sadness than I expected. I suppose it also has something to do with the fact that he came so far and had the talent to start 83 major league games over 5 years with a 32-30 record but probably fell short of the kind of success and career longevity he wanted for himself. I'm sure he probably saw a longer life for himself also. There's a poignancy to his story that touches me.

Kevin Foster and Jeremi Gonzalez. 2/5ths of the 97 Cubs rotation up in heaven. RIP

I met him when he was with St Paul team in 2002 or 2003.

He was warming up to play against Joliet team and there was no name on his jersey and I said to myself "is that Kevin Foster?"

I went down when he was done warming up and I asked if he was Kevin Foster and he said yeah.

I thanked him for pitching for the Cubs and I hoped he made it back to the bigs.

He said thanks and was looking to forward to getting back. Real nice guy.

God bless his soul.

• Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.

Rob G. 1 hour 39 min ago view
  • Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

• i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 7 hours 36 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers:

.....

13.C. Seager 0.7

Traditional stats

Crawford

.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned

Russell

• Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?

Eric S 11 hours 4 min ago view
  • Favorite Genesis video

jacos 11 hours 34 min ago view
  • Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.

Eric S 12 hours 14 min ago view
  • Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.

Gonzalez and Morrison also honored.

VirginiaPhil 17 hours 34 min ago view
  • QuietMan 1 day 3 hours ago view
  • FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.

JoePepitone 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Jackstraw 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo

jacos 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."

i chose the classy route.

crunch 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ good shit goเฑฆิ sHit๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some good๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshit right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ rightโœ”there โœ”โœ”if i do ฦฝaาฏ so my self ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: สณแถฆแตสฐแต— แต—สฐแต‰สณแต‰) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ euphoric logic !euphoric loGic๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some euphoric๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ป logic right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ปthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ Carl ๐Ÿ”ญ Sagan๐ŸŒŒ๐Ÿ’ซif i do ฦฝaาฏ so gentlemen ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats euPhoric logic right there Richard ๐Ÿ“’ Dawkins๐ŸŽฉ (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘“๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œeuphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ john cena JOhN cEna

crunch 1 day 7 hours ago view