Who was the Cubs 2008 MVP?

Comments

I went with Dempster, but it's very close. In my book, Soto or DeRosa you could make almost an equally strong argument for.

Dempster was the staff ace, so I gave it to him. Our rotation looks MUCH worse without him.

Soto and DeRosa were very very good. I would give the edge to Soto over them, because he plays a tougher position.

All 3 vastly exceeded our pre-season expectations.

Since when is exceeding expectations the same as the MVP?

It is amazing how few votes ARam is getting.

Where is this pitching staff without Geo? Blanco is great don't get me wrong, but he's a PT player at this point.

Aram is probably the best producer this season, but I just can't get past how valuable Soto's handling of the pitching staff is and how inspiring his breakout on offense is at one of the most difficult positions to find offense.

According to BP - with the one caveat that I threw out Dempster's batting numbers because BP does that wrong for pitchers (I guess another email is coming) here's the Batting/Pitching, baserunning and fielding Runs Above Replacement (as in a AAAA guy) for the candidates:

Dempster 82
DeRosa 76
Soto 60
Ramirez 57
Theriot 45
Marmol 36

Marmol obviously would look better in an evaluation that takes in leverage like BP's silly named stat or Win Probability Added. Oh, what the hell I am bored, lets look at WPA:

Marmol 3.77
Ramirez 3.31
Dempster 2.37 (-1.17 due to batting)
Lee 1.81
DeRosa 1.80
Harden 1.65
Edmonds 1.63
Soriano 1.41
Soto .95
Theriot -.22

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I feel the Cubs got what they expected from Soto this year - average in the 280s, 20ish HR power, good game-calling. I know he's a rook but it's not like he came out of nowhere in Spring Training.

The only Cubs (IMO) that performed beyond anyone's wildest expectations this year were Dempster and some of the role players (Fontenot, the scrap-heap CF platoon).

I voted for Aramis because, considering his offense and defense, he was the most irreplaceable guy on the team, therefore the most valuable. IMO.

No they weren't. I really don't understand someone saying Geo Soto VASTLY exceeded expectations. ON the contrary, he just about perfectly met them-- batting average, power, defense and handling pitchers. Expectations were high. And he came through.

PECOTA's 50% forecast for Soto was .275 .353 .477. He actually hit .285 .364 .504, so in that sense he exceeded expectations. Was anyone surprised that he had a .868 OPS? Probably not, except maybe Manny because he came up as a Cubs farmhand.

There are no MVPs this year. This year was a year of failure. They all lose in my book. I call no MVPs until we at least make it to the NLCS.

Also Hendry deal is official (sorry if 3/44). 4 more years. I don't mind that Hendry will be with us another 4 years--he seems to be learning from his mistakes--but I'm not looking forward to seeing Manny's sig and hearing his endless griping over the next 4 years.

I went with Soto. Our offenses improvement from last year to this year because we went from the worst production in the NL at C to top 3 if not the best in the NL. Also he handled the pitching staff well for a rookie.

I think this is a race between Aram and Marmol. If you took Aram off the team, how many less wins would we have? His walkoff HRs (two?) are obvious, but Marmol had several holds that, in my opinion, if you look at the rest of the bullpen, would have been losses. If you take Marmol off this team, you could easily turn 1/3 of his holds into losses the way the rest of the bullpen threw.

• rain delay...bah.

crunch 37 min 12 sec ago view
  • Indians extend their streak.

Darwin Barney gets tagged with the loss.

Mornington Crescent 44 min 12 sec ago view
  • delayed until 7:20 -EST- (tarp off the field)...

CLE/TOR in the top 18th in case you're bored. 2nd baseman r.goins pitching for TOR...hit 90mph so far. 1ip 2h 1bb 0k, 0 r/er (bb was ibb). he threw a fastball/change mix. crowd loved it. d.ross is not impressed.

d.barney strands j.lake at 2nd in the bottom 18 for the cubs bluejays...to the 19th!

-cubs game has begun-

crunch 58 min 48 sec ago view
  • BRADSBEARD: Javier Assad was still pitching into the 6th inning, and the first batter he faced reached base on an E-4 (that was Assad's 70th and final pitch of the game). Then Leathersich relieved Assad and retired the second batter 4-3 on the first pitch of the AB (the runner at 1st base advanced to 2nd on the play), and then on an 0-1 pitch the third batter in the inning (second one faced by Leathersich) lined into an inning-ending 6-4 DP (baserunner doubled off 2nd base). When calculating GO/AO, double plays and triple plays count as only one out.

Arizona Phil 1 hour 14 min ago view
  • Wow. The site actually loaded without an error! Happy 4th all, and Go Cubs!

• OK -- my 4th of July resolution is to try to stay more positive. So -- 10 games to the AS break, meaning the Cubs will be in first place at the break! First time since...2008? Also, hopefully, Willson, KB and Javy learned something about Familia yesterday that they can use in the future.

• Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 4 hours 10 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 4 hours 27 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 8 hours 7 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 8 hours 34 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

Old and Blue 12 hours 13 sec ago view
  • I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 20 hours 35 min ago view