Lou Piniella's Last Thoughts on the Playoffs

I read the Sun-Times writeup on an interview with Lou Piniella in yesterday's paper and thought it was worthy of TCR discussion.

''The two things that I take from the postseason are that I didn't get a chance to pitch [Ted] Lilly, and he was such an integral part of us getting there.."

Here's my translation of Lou's comment #1:

1) The Ted Lilly Fan Club Super Computer predicted this.

2) Lou prefers Jason Marquis to Jake Peavy or Rich Harden because the latter two makes it tougher to pitch Ted Lilly in the playoffs.

3) You should have seen Z's reaction when (Lou) told him Dempster was pitching game one and Ted Lilly was pitching game two vs LA.

And Lou's comment #2: "And, two, we've just got to figure out a way to score more runs in the postseason."

...then Lou says: Raul Ibanez is the type of professional hitter "that we are alluding to".

Translation:

1) I'm batting Raul 4th.

2) Defense? We don't need no stinkin' defense.

3) Is there a Raul Ibanez Fan Club Computer I can check with?

Comments

Hey Lou, how about putting your own players in the best possible position to succeed? Like not pulling your ace when he's pitching well and selecting good matchups for your struggling "professional" left-handed hitting outfielder.

It seems to work for Bob Melvin and Joe Torre.

TLFC is just thankful for the fact that, in 2010 or 2011, we will have perfected our cloning machine which will allow the Cubs to trot out a starting five rotation of Ted Lillys.

Our 2008 Playoff Mantra, "Get the Ball to Ted" (GTBTT) will then become a distant memory and Cub faithful can bask in the glory of Lillyhammers five days a week.

Are you out of your dual core processor? If we trotted out a rotation like that, we would lose 30 games in april, then proceed to win 100 games on the season.

I haven't heard the Lillyhammer pun before, that was well done. Is it a TLFC creation?

That's as old as Chad's movie quotes.

And music tastes.

Eh, nevermind. Changed my mind. My comment was in poor taste.

Here's looking at you, kid.

so much for old movie quotes...

Bluto: See if you can guess what I am now.
[puts cottage cheese ball in his mouth and hits his cheeks with his fists]

you're a junkie with a zit!

lol...drugs.

Cubster is a P I G pig!

Everyone knows there is no such a thing as a sanity clause.

from Rotoworld

"FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers have backed off their pursuit of Jack Wilson after the Pirates asked for Chin-Lung Hu, Delwyn Young and a third player in return."

good luck with that Pirates...

Yeah I saw that, couldn't figure out what they were thinking. Maybe they are thinking what they got for Bay is the standard price for an established major leaguer, no matter how mediocre he is.

Maybe that was a typo. Sounds like a good deal for HACK Wilson.

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 33 min 29 sec ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

The E-Man 1 hour 57 sec ago view
  • Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 2 hours 13 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 14 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 16 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 2 hours 19 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 2 hours 27 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 29 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 2 hours 49 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

• Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 3 hours 3 min ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

• TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 10 min ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?