Cubs 2009 Schedule

It's available at cubs.com, and the Cubs will open the season on the road at Houston on April 6th and open up Miller Park that Friday. They start the home season on Monday, April 13th versus the Colorado Rockies.

June looks pretty tough, with just one nine-game homestand and 17 on the road. They'll play their interleague schedule that month versus the AL Central, including home games versus the Twins, White Sox and Indians and then three on the road versus both Detroit and the White Sox. For the first time that I can recall, they play a series versus the White Sox in the middle of the week, although the second match-up at Comiskey (still Comiskey to me) is on the weekend.

They make up those home games in July with 16 at home and nine on the road. They finish the season with six at home versus Pittsburgh and Arizona. That will be right after a 10-game road trip to St. Louis, Milwaukee and San Francisco. They also travel to San Diego twice next season, April and August.

Comments

I'm pretty sure the schedule has been up at Cubs.com since October. MLB actually released everyones at the same time, instead of having them trickle out via each team over a couple of months.

And there are still two WSox series. They play at Wrigley mid-week (June 16-18) and then at the Cell the following weekend (Jun 26-28)

thanks for the Wsox catch...fixed.

if it was posted earlier, I missed every single one of those stories and comments.

Its a balanced schedule. Not one month that pops out as too brutal or too easy. Why you really cant settle it in stone until the off-season is over. It looks like May is the easiest. Even in June are road games are the Braves (I think they will be around a .500 team) Reds ( I think they will be the NL surprise team this year, so that could be tough) Houston (It looks like they want to shed payroll so they could be one of the worse teams, if they suffer a bad injury), Tigers (I think they will bounce back and win the AL Central) Wsox (see Houston).

Reds- "will be the NL surprise team this year, so that could be tough"

I believe for the third year running. So it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

If they get Harang and Bailey going I could see them being competitive, but that offense looks pretty weak without Dunn and Griffey.

Supposedly the Reds traded Bailey to the WSox for Jermaine Dye. I thought Bailey was a big time prospect and Jermaine Dye was an old outfielder, but what do I know?

yesterday's news cycle and already debunked by Jocketty who said he hasn't talked to the White Sox since Thanksgiving.

Hal McCoy got the story wrong...

They were discussing trading Dye for a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream

Shorty Rosenthal now says Phillies might be the 3rd team in the Peavy thang...

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.

Charlie 1 hour 10 min ago view
  • I hope the D and bullpen show up. Cubs haven't had much luck against Davies, and he's been going well lately. A little uncomfortable with the Cards only 6.5 back--feels like they're right on our tails compared to the 11 game lead I've grown accustomed to.

Charlie 1 hour 14 min ago view
  • Cardinals, stop that. Right now.

• In a year or two, a lot of fans are going to point at trading him as a mistake. He'll probably be slashing something like 280/400/480 for Seattle at the time. Of course, by WAR, he'll still be worth less than 3, since we're talking zero defensive value.

John Beasley 3 hours 11 min ago view
  • vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.

• m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.

...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.

• I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.

• 2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.

Cubster 15 hours 24 min ago view
  • welcome back fowler.

• More slow news...

Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?

Cubster 16 hours 12 min ago view
  • glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.

.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.

i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).

• CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).

Arizona Phil 18 hours 39 min ago view
  • The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.

Non Roster Invitee 18 hours 50 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.

Arizona Phil 18 hours 54 min ago view
  • Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

chitownmvp01 18 hours 57 min ago view