Cubs Christmas Gifts

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, Hanukkah and so forth. The Angel Fan Wife was kind enough to get me a Ryne Sandberg jersey, plus some wonderful Marquette gear, so I guess I ended up on the nice list. I would love to hear what Cubs goodies some of you received.

As for the current Cubbies, here's what a few of them unwrapped.

Alfonso Soriano - Jugs Curveball Pitching Machine

Aramis Ramirez -  "The Art of Cockfighting" (always good to brush up on the basics)

Jason Marquis - $100 Crate and Barrel gift card

Ryan Dempster
A.J. Burnett baseball card

Rich Harden - stack of hand towels (give it a sec)

Ted Lilly
- Star Trek Holodeck to let him pitch in 2008 playoffs

Carlos Marmol - copy of K-rod's contract

Jeff Samardzija - a slider

Carlos Zambrano -a Livan Hernandez baseball card

Geovany Soto - Rick Wilkins' locker

Ryan Theriot - The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Baseball & Softball

Derrek Lee - 2005

Cubs Fans - a World Series Title (comes in gift card form and can only be redeemed in October, never expires but not accepted every season)

As always, feel free to fill the gaps for others associated with the Cubs.

Tags:

Comments

Mets to make offers to Lowe, Perez and Wolf this week...first come, first serve.

the rest of the offseason remains boring as ever...I'll try to update FA Frenzy today.

Hendry - Doughnuts! (or as they would say on ESPN, Yahoo or Cubs.com, "1st")
Lou - Prozac refill
Pie - Official MLB bats certified for use in the state of Illinois
Gregg - more luck

I got Kosuke a boat oar. Really helps with plate coverage, dontchaknow.

nice

One other thing, has anyone else noticed that Don Beebe has been gunning for a ISHA title for several months now in the CBS2 ad on the left sidebar? In fact, I can recall getting very angry at Don Beebe's stupid sly smirk when I showed up on this site after we lost Game 1. Something to effect of, "THIS IS NO TIME TO BE SMILING DON BEEBE, YOU FUCKING PRICK!" IIRC.

I wonder if he's ever going to get there...

"CBS2 - timely news you can trust"

I've read that Dunn has contacted the Cubs to play right field. It was in yesterday's papers, Trib maybe? I don't know, lifetime .247 hitter (I believe). Lots of homers and walks, but the only reason he wears a glove is because everyone else does. Could be disastrous when Flyball Lilly and Marquis pitch.

dunn knows where RF is?

wow...i guess i should cut him a little more slack.

anyone got the college bowl scores?

He's very familiar with right field, that's where all his hits go.

Wow...TCR on their own is going beyond just using bad language they couldn't use on MVN.

Nice picture of jugs on the main page upper left. Even took the wrapper off!

Check out the curves.

HELL YEAH!

Why is she lilting to one side like that, though?

And, I gotta say, I don't trust skinny women with big tits. Just sayin'.

Her name is Eileen.

Oops.

I heard she's really good at squeezing balls between those jugs.

Unfortunately they often then pop out at dangerous speeds.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

The E-Man 34 min 13 sec ago view
  • Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

billybucks 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 2 hours 38 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 3 hours 7 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 36 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view