Cashner Hurt and Sale News
Just a few quick hits worth mentioning...
- First round pick Andrew Cashner, who was cut yesterday, has a strained oblique.
- Bud says talks are still ongoing on the sale betweeen Ricketts and the Tribune. It doesn't sound too optimistic that it will get done by Opening Day with Selig saying that there are still issues that need to be resolved.
- Fukudome went 1-4 with a run scored for Team Japan in their victory over Korea.
- The top 300 position players of the Retrosheet era (since 1955) by WAR. Cubs on the list were Rafael Palmeiro at #28, Jim Edmonds at #38, Ron Santo at #47, Kenny Lofton at #43, Billy Williams at #59, Ryne Sandberg at #63, Ernie Banks at #67 (wouldn't include his 1954 season or 10 games in 1953), Sammy Sosa at #70, Andre Dawson at #83, Fred McGriff at #90, Ron Cey at #96, Mark Grace at #103, Luis Gonzalez at #105, Nomar Garciaparra at #123, Lou Brock at #137, Davey Lopes at #150, Moises Alou at #164, Jason Kendall at #174, Johnny Callison at #176, Gary Gaetti at #180, Bill Madlock at #193, Rick Monday at #199, Richie Asburn at #229 (missing quite a few of his seasons), Lance Johnson at #233, Gary Matthews at #240 and Cliff Floyd at #261. It's quite possible I missed a few names (which have now been added thanks to WISCGRAD).
- Lineup for Saturday's game versus the Brewers:
LF Soriano, CF Sam Fuld, 3B Ramirez, 1B Micah Hoffpauir, 2B Mike
Fontenot, RF Reed Johnson, C Mark Johnson, SS Darwin Barney, P Carlos
- Quote-master Ryan Dempster:
"I don't know a lot of people hitting 1.000 right now in
the Cactus League. I'm sure that will dwindle down, but I'm going to
ride it out while I can."
"According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, Tim Tebow's baseball workout Tuesday in Los Angeles will be attended by scouts from "roughly half" of the 30 major league teams."
"One scout told ESPN.com last week that Tebow's swing is so long it might "take out the front row." That's not a good thing."
MyrtleBeachPelicans [email protected]
The #MBpelicans and @Cubs have extended their PDC through 2020!
Carolina League getting 2 new teams too.
CF WAR is ridiculous...billy hamilton is pulling a 3.0 WAR somehow...and managed a 2.0 WAR last year (even though he missed a month of the season)...and a 3.7 WAR in 2014.
yeah, a lot depends on how one is doing relative to others at a given position, but WAR is common used (right or wrong) as a blanket comparing all kinds of players.
trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo.
Mike Trout is ridiculous
Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo
2nd in defensive WAR, NL.
6th in NL in RBI
Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.
Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.
Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.
There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!
Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.
Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.
Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.
Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.
Baez still learning
heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.
he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.
stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.
that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.
brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.