TCR Saturday Notes

- Lou says Sean Marshall is well on his way to securing a spot in the rotation.

"He has done absolutely nothing to hurt his chances," Piniella said.
"He's throwing the ball as well as I've seen him throw it. He came in
here as the front-runner and, truthfully, he hasn't lost that status."

- If you're missing Wrigley Field, you can print out and assemble your own thanks to this link I found through Baseball Musings. Or if you need some set pieces for a Godzilla movie you're filming.

- Jonathan Mayo goes through his Top 10 Cubs Prospects at cubs.com which has some nice bits of info including that Tyler Colvin has hit the weight room pretty hard while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.

-  THT has been doing their own farm system run-down and has the Cubs as 26th in baseball.
They also did a composite top 100 list combining the results of some of
the major prospect lists and came up with Josh Vitters as the #36
prospect in baseball.

- Jeff Passan pens an excellent piece on the fall of Mark Prior and the fallacy of his "perfect mechanics". There's a couple of good links within the article explaining some of the possible issues with Prior's delivery plus a bit of Dusty bashing. Also, we get a brief glimpse into the genius of a major league ballplayer:

“For a four-year stretch, everything was good, and then it suddenly
happens?” Prior said. “Who knows? There may be some validity to the
people who say it’s mechanics. I’m not changing. I don’t think there’s
anything I specifically do that has caused my injuries. No one’s ever
going to be able to tell me for certain that it is, either.

Stupid is as stupid does....

- Big League Stew thinks ballplayers taking out an ad in the newspaper to thank the fans of their old team is an antiquated practice ands asks for a little creativity - like skywriting! Also, I didn't realize the writer - Kevin Kaduk - wrote Wrigleyworld and grew up a Cubs fan.

- Reed Johnson has a blog and promises to make fun of Mike Fontenot in each one of his posts. This will be fantastic.

- Cubs face the Angels again today with Aaron Heilman on the mound. The game is on MLB.tv I see, so it's being televised somewhere.

Comments

Didn't mean to post over you - didn't see anything else in the works as I was saving mine (and updating my time stamp as I saved it.) Happy to trade spots with ya, remove mine, or whatever.

no worries, I think my time stamp is set for the wrong time zone still.

It's just links, I could care less where it's displayed.

Cubs face the Angels again today with Aaron Heilman on the mound. The game is on MLB.tv I see, so it's being televised somewhere....

FYI: The game is televised on WGN AMERICA today.

Baseball players and (especially) beat writers should leave blogging to us perfesionals.

Spilling secrets, pulling back the curtain and providing inside information the Cubs don't want to get out to the public, unsubstantiated rumors, and provacative irresponsible speculation are the lifeblood of any Cubs blog, and Carrie Muskat and Paul Sullivan don't understand that. They should just get out of the way. They don't need to blog. They already have access to the mass media.

And I challenge Reed Johnson to write what he really thinks, and not clear it first through the Cubs.

BTW, Jim Bouton and Jimmy Piersall would make great bloggers, because they aren't afraid to give their opinions and don't withhold anything. They're not afraid to let you know what they know.

And I can tell you without any question that the Cubs HATE blogs like The Cub Reporter. The players and the players families love us, but the executives and the field managers don't. They wish we would just go away. They believe "What you see here, what you hear here, what you say here, let it stay here."

"And to those who make a fuss about the Inverted W and point out that House’s prized student has been laid up for years? Well, House said, “They don’t know their asses from a boat paddle.”"

luz.

oh tom...

i don't buy it myself, but wow...out of all the people he attached his legacy to and all the pitchers he's worked with...mark prior and that stupid ass 'inverted-W' nit picking is gonna haunt house his whole life.

it doesn't help that tom is now so tired of the questions he's just bitterly defensive at this point over one of his prized methods.

Reed's blog sure talks a lot about inserting Fontenot...

Just saying.

Now you're just peniacally obsessed.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 7 hours 39 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 7 hours 55 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 51 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 53 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 18 hours 10 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.