TCR Saturday Notes
- Lou says Sean Marshall is well on his way to securing a spot in the rotation.
"He has done absolutely nothing to hurt his chances," Piniella said.
"He's throwing the ball as well as I've seen him throw it. He came in
here as the front-runner and, truthfully, he hasn't lost that status."
- If you're missing Wrigley Field, you can print out and assemble your own thanks to this link I found through Baseball Musings. Or if you need some set pieces for a Godzilla movie you're filming.
- Jonathan Mayo goes through his Top 10 Cubs Prospects at cubs.com which has some nice bits of info including that Tyler Colvin has hit the weight room pretty hard while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.
- THT has been doing their own farm system run-down and has the Cubs as 26th in baseball.
They also did a composite top 100 list combining the results of some of
the major prospect lists and came up with Josh Vitters as the #36
prospect in baseball.
- Jeff Passan pens an excellent piece on the fall of Mark Prior and the fallacy of his "perfect mechanics". There's a couple of good links within the article explaining some of the possible issues with Prior's delivery plus a bit of Dusty bashing. Also, we get a brief glimpse into the genius of a major league ballplayer:
“For a four-year stretch, everything was good, and then it suddenly
happens?” Prior said. “Who knows? There may be some validity to the
people who say it’s mechanics. I’m not changing. I don’t think there’s
anything I specifically do that has caused my injuries. No one’s ever
going to be able to tell me for certain that it is, either.
Stupid is as stupid does....
- Big League Stew thinks ballplayers taking out an ad in the newspaper to thank the fans of their old team is an antiquated practice ands asks for a little creativity - like skywriting! Also, I didn't realize the writer - Kevin Kaduk - wrote Wrigleyworld and grew up a Cubs fan.
- Reed Johnson has a blog and promises to make fun of Mike Fontenot in each one of his posts. This will be fantastic.
- Cubs face the Angels again today with Aaron Heilman on the mound. The game is on MLB.tv I see, so it's being televised somewhere.
there was more than one way to get there
supposedly jed "who?" hoyer, too
same...i just happen to not like sitting through shit sandwich meals for multiple years. baseball is kinda boring when you're punting on 1st down for a slew of years in a row.
i fully understand why it was done, but i didn't enjoy it. there was more than one way to get competitive and this was the chosen way.
fwiw, apparently McLeod signed extension as well after he didn't get Twins gig.
I am once again reminded why I am happy that Theo is running the organization.
if not they can just intentionally tank the team for 3-4 years and rebuild.
Hopefully after the Cubs complete their sevenpeat :)
They're the best in the business and have been for 12 years running now. The only question is when they'll get bored of it.
I was right here. I don't require my GM's to be perfect, but I would like them to understand what wins baseball games (IMO controlling the strike zone and creating/avoiding outs), and knowing where the organization is in the success cycle.
Theo and company have made and will make plenty of mistakes, but they seem to understand those two items pretty well.
Now we're all Theo-believers, where were you when he signed Edwin Jackson? Or how about trading away DJ Lemehaiu? And not signing Samardzija to an extension? Or not pursuing Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols? Or signing Lester? Or trading away Cashner, Dempster, Feldman, etc?...I think I'm losing the narrative here.
So his deal runs through 2021? Which pretty much coincides when all these guys are due to hit free agency.
"Terms of the deal were not disclosed."
Theo inks five year extension
PC tonite at PNC
Not as a major factor, but could be a tie-breaker. But, yeah, on performance and experience, it's Coghlan.
Arrieta’s 2.85 ERA would be good enough to lead 26 other teams. He's 3rd on #Cubs behind Hendricks (1.99) and Lester (2.28)
Meanwhile on the SouthSide