Koskie Calls It Quits

So I take off for a few days and Cubnut takes out Corey Koskie's career...I hope he uses these newfound powers for good in the future. An article from Muskat at cubs.com does say that Koskie has made it official and has quit baseball for good.

My brush with baseball while I was in Las Vegas for three days was seeing Pete Rose at a "Field of Dreams" store doing an autograph signing. Appropriately he was counting the money he had made as I passed by...a shame I didn't have my 1972 Topps card of him on me.

Cubs take on the White Sox today and the game is on MLB.tv at least. Here is the Cubs' lineup courtesy of Muskat:

LF Alfonso Soriano, SS Ryan Theriot, CF Reed Johnson, DH Milton
Bradley, 1B Jake Fox, 3B Mike Fontenot, 2B Aaron Miles, C Koyie Hill,
RF So Taguchi.

Sean Marshall will be doing the starting.

Comments

The Koyie Hill Effect: update

Ron Santo just said that this spring Sean Marshall's fastball is 5 MPH faster than last year.

I will allow myself an LOL!

seconded.

Lou just said he's going to play the "regular lineup" more often now. Good to see DH Bradley out there in RF.

Says he's going to make a decision on the backup catcher sometime next weekend.

Thinks that Hoffpauir will do better in the outfield once he's positioned (the Cubs have just been playing OF spots straight away) and doesn't have to deal with the high Arizona sky and the big outfields of spring training parks.
Hopes to get him more PA's if he can handle the OF corners okay.

"Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it."

cool, patton.

Maybe not. There was an article somewhere that Gaudin was going to get a spot for sure, even though he's sucked. Sorry I don't have the link.

yeah, could be. i was just taking a shot in the dark...i got nothing on the situation.

good on ya koskie...go take your millions and take care of the rest of your life. props.

Game today on MLB Network...and oddly...like yesterday...it's on a 1 hour delay.

woo...1 hour delayed cubs vs. wsox =p

i dont understand this one...esp. 2 days in a row doing it.

"...a shame I didn't have my 1972 Topps card of him on me."

A shame you didn't have a video camera crew for that one ...

I only have the Cawk & BJ broadcast. Guess I'll have to mute it today.

steve stone in the 1st was telling the world how to strike out soriano...first you blah blah then you blah blah then low and outside and it's a strikeout every time!

ah steve...your coaching and managerial skills on your resume just can't seem to make it past the microphone for some reason.

also had to sit through my first "he gone!"...ugg.

Thanks Crunch... i turned on Comcast and Jake Fox smacks one for a 12-2 lead... then i see your post and flip over to MLB Network and its only 3-1 Cubs... now i get to show the wife my ESP skills!

It's funny listening to Hawk and Stoney. Stoney keeps talking about the Cubs - the moves they've made, the players they have, etc. Hawk tries to guide him back to the Sox but Stoney keeps drifting back.

Hawk and Stoney? Really? DJ is gone?

Too bad, I really liked the Chip-Stone team when they were calling games a few years ago.

DJ is the radio analyst with Farmer.

More potent than ambien.

Did Cubs announce the date for Koskie's jersey retirement?

• "Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."

crunch 16 min 55 sec ago view
  • Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.

Old and Blue 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?

• Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd

J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora

Eric S 2 hours 51 min ago view
  • The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.

• Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."

• 9 runs in 4 games. Zobrist slumping. Russell having a tough time. Almora not a contact guy. They miss Fowler big time.

Bring the A-Team back.

• poop.

4 losses in a row for the 1st time this season.

• DRAMA!

• RIP 2016 cubs.

i'll never forget clayton richard throwing that 1 inning that didn't suck.

see you guys next season.

• Yeesh. Shut down innings a thing of the past for the Cubbies

Not the best of nights for Russell - should of nailed Stanton at second on Ross's throw but mishandles it ... so of course Stanton comes around and scores as well

Eric S 20 hours 30 min ago view
  • Guys, I've decided to focus on the first awesome two and a half months instead of this disastrous end to the season. Remember Arrieta's no-no, Contreras's first-ever-pitch HR, all the amazing defensive gems by Baez?

We'll get 'em next year!

Brick 20 hours 30 min ago view
  • David Fuckin Ross!!!

That Baez almost-out defensive play was bonkers.

Rob G. 21 hours 31 sec ago view
  • 1- brilliant
    2- if miami was a team with decent runners i'd be more scared...or if they get guys on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs
    3- yes...he could use a roid re-up

wow...miami's running game is even weaker than i thought. stolen bases is a lazy way to gauge running quality, but tonight's lineup has 7 SBs on the year and it's only 2 guys. they have 19 total SB and 6 of those are d.gordon...and 6 are ichiro. only 4 guys on the roster all season have successfully stolen a base and 1 is suspended.

• Just brainstorming:
    1) If Cubs are going to play a catcher at 1B, why not just gear him up and call it second home plate and see if they can trick Lester into throwing there every now and again.
    2) Between Lester on the mound, and a catcher at 1B, bunting might be lucrative for the Marlins.
    3) Barry Bonds looks deflated. I mean physically.

Jackstraw 22 hours 43 min ago view
  • Smokies lineup sure could use the help. Promotions of Candalario and Zagunis to Iowa crippled the offense - McKinney's continued power outage not helping things.

Eric S 22 hours 45 min ago view