Koskie Calls It Quits

So I take off for a few days and Cubnut takes out Corey Koskie's career...I hope he uses these newfound powers for good in the future. An article from Muskat at cubs.com does say that Koskie has made it official and has quit baseball for good.

My brush with baseball while I was in Las Vegas for three days was seeing Pete Rose at a "Field of Dreams" store doing an autograph signing. Appropriately he was counting the money he had made as I passed by...a shame I didn't have my 1972 Topps card of him on me.

Cubs take on the White Sox today and the game is on MLB.tv at least. Here is the Cubs' lineup courtesy of Muskat:

LF Alfonso Soriano, SS Ryan Theriot, CF Reed Johnson, DH Milton
Bradley, 1B Jake Fox, 3B Mike Fontenot, 2B Aaron Miles, C Koyie Hill,
RF So Taguchi.

Sean Marshall will be doing the starting.

Comments

The Koyie Hill Effect: update

Ron Santo just said that this spring Sean Marshall's fastball is 5 MPH faster than last year.

I will allow myself an LOL!

seconded.

Lou just said he's going to play the "regular lineup" more often now. Good to see DH Bradley out there in RF.

Says he's going to make a decision on the backup catcher sometime next weekend.

Thinks that Hoffpauir will do better in the outfield once he's positioned (the Cubs have just been playing OF spots straight away) and doesn't have to deal with the high Arizona sky and the big outfields of spring training parks.
Hopes to get him more PA's if he can handle the OF corners okay.

"Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it."

cool, patton.

Maybe not. There was an article somewhere that Gaudin was going to get a spot for sure, even though he's sucked. Sorry I don't have the link.

yeah, could be. i was just taking a shot in the dark...i got nothing on the situation.

good on ya koskie...go take your millions and take care of the rest of your life. props.

Game today on MLB Network...and oddly...like yesterday...it's on a 1 hour delay.

woo...1 hour delayed cubs vs. wsox =p

i dont understand this one...esp. 2 days in a row doing it.

"...a shame I didn't have my 1972 Topps card of him on me."

A shame you didn't have a video camera crew for that one ...

I only have the Cawk & BJ broadcast. Guess I'll have to mute it today.

steve stone in the 1st was telling the world how to strike out soriano...first you blah blah then you blah blah then low and outside and it's a strikeout every time!

ah steve...your coaching and managerial skills on your resume just can't seem to make it past the microphone for some reason.

also had to sit through my first "he gone!"...ugg.

Thanks Crunch... i turned on Comcast and Jake Fox smacks one for a 12-2 lead... then i see your post and flip over to MLB Network and its only 3-1 Cubs... now i get to show the wife my ESP skills!

It's funny listening to Hawk and Stoney. Stoney keeps talking about the Cubs - the moves they've made, the players they have, etc. Hawk tries to guide him back to the Sox but Stoney keeps drifting back.

Hawk and Stoney? Really? DJ is gone?

Too bad, I really liked the Chip-Stone team when they were calling games a few years ago.

DJ is the radio analyst with Farmer.

More potent than ambien.

Did Cubs announce the date for Koskie's jersey retirement?

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 3 hours 14 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 3 hours 16 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 3 hours 16 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 36 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 53 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 28 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 42 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 7 hours 19 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.