Free Agent Frenzy Winner

I mentioned it when Manny signed with the Dodgers, but here are the final standings for our Free Agent Frenzy contest for this season. Congrats to "CincyKid" for the win, you are the proud owner of "Crazy '08" by Cait Murphy. Email me your address so I can send your prize out.

The number in parenthesis is the total correct number of picks out of 15.

1. CincyKid - 78 (7)
  2. Andrew - 75 (7)
  3. Eric -70 (7)
  4. The Real Neal - 66 (6)
  5. Carlos Rubi - 66 (6)
  6. jackie t - 62 (5)
  7. Dejon R. - 58 (7)
  8. Tito - 58 (6)
  9. John Beasley - 56 (5)
  10. twcoffee - 54 (6)
  11. RW - 54(4)
  12. Rob G. - 52 (5)
  13. Tom R. - 47 (4)
  14. big lowitzki - 44 (5)
  15. JD - 44 (4)
  16. chifan - 38 (3)
  17. Ruz - 35 (4)
  18. Jacos - 31(3)
  19. allinginge - 30 (3)
  20. Brian H. - 9 (3)
  21. Charlie - DQ'd

Comments

Curses! So close.

What, no consolation prize, Rob?

the economy seems to have taken a hit on the swag we get here at TCR. I'm dry on prizes right now. I have a copy of the 1907 book, but it was more for review than prize giving and I wanted to read it.

I don't know whether it hurts more to be me or Brian H.

I'm gonna go with me.

I just finished the book a few weeks ago. It's truly one of the better baseball books I've read.

Crane Kenney says the team wants to increase the number of night games from 30 to 50.

The rest of the article says it's not likely to happen for at least 6-7 more years.

Wittenmyer opines on how the bullpen will shake out.

He seems to think Gaudin is locked in.

Just noticed that Kerry Wood was a unanimous and mostly high confidence pick to stay a Cub...painfully, nobody saw his future unfold the way it did.

in contrast, two contestants picked Dempster to move on.

Going to advertise again (and for the next few days, if need be) that we have a late opening in a 16-team TCR Head-to-Head yahoo fantasy baseball league.

It's a very active, skilled, but relaxed and friendly league. Big rosters, a very modest sabrmetric bent to the (many) stat. categories, and a clause that we re-draft players off of any team that goes "dead" for more than a month.

Did I mention that it is Transmission Tested, Jacos Approved?
email me: trans.at.tcr at gmail.com and I'll hook you up.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

The E-Man 17 min 7 sec ago view
  • Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

The E-Man 56 min 14 sec ago view
  • I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

The E-Man 59 min 29 sec ago view
  • OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

billybucks 1 hour 52 min ago view
  • There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 3 hours 43 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.

• He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.

• draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.

filter by team.

• Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79

QuietMan 15 hours 23 min ago view
  • Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.

• Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?

On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!

• - The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
    - Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
    - There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
    - We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
    - We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
    EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.

Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
    Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.

• Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?

• I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues

Eric S 18 hours 51 min ago view