Fox Out-Foxed By Retreads

Jake Fox may be ready to take on big league pitching but last night he was silenced by a trio of ex-big leaguers as the Iowa Cubs fell to the Albuquerque Isotopes in a 7-0 yawner at Principal Park.

Eric Milton tossed six impressive innings on his way back from TJ surgery. Jeff Weaver and Tanyon Sturtze preserved the shutout with tidy work of their own. Each took at least one turn hosing down the blazing Big Jake.

Fox went hitless for the first time in 2009 and finally fell off of his unsustainable RBI pace of two per game. He grounded out to end the dreary affair and send everybody home to bed before a noon matinee today that is forecast to be played in good weather breezing through Des Moines on its way to Chicago. Look for the C-Cub crowd to be dressed a little more comfortably on Thursday afternoon at Wrigley.

Even though they only managed a combined two for eight, the Albuquerque highlights for me were Isotope veterans Valentino Pascucci and Chin Hu. I love the 1B with the name of an opera singer and it always makes me smile to know Hu's at SS.

I hope to get to the ballpark in mid-game today and plan to be there tomorrow night for Jack Snow, er, Jeff Samardzija's next start...MW

Comments

not to ruin the suspense, but Randy Wellls had a no-hitter through 6 and the Iowa Cubs end up winning 9-1. 2 HR's by Brad Snyder and one each by Scales and Blanco. Jake Fox with the day off....

stole my thunder...

sorry, was scoping around milb.com for the ex-Cubs watch post and noticed the score...

It'd be nice to see Snyder polish his game and maybe become a high-upside 4th outfielder type. I feel like someone has answered this question before, but he's adequate in CF, right?

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

crunch 39 min 57 sec ago view
  • I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 1 hour 8 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

crunch 1 hour 11 min ago view
  • last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

crunch 1 hour 12 min ago view
  • How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 3 hours 7 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 3 hours 22 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 5 hours 39 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

• So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 5 hours 42 min ago view
  • TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.

Cubster 6 hours 32 min ago view
  • Objectively true. Scherzer's FIP is almost a half point higher than his ERA, mostly I deduce because his BABIP is .249 so something ridiculous like that. It's not like the guy can't be scored on, but when I watch him, I sometimes feel that he's the most in control of the game moving around him.

John Beasley 7 hours 16 min ago view
  • Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.

• Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

• i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 16 hours 28 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers: