The End of the Impotence: Theriot's Homerless Streak is Broken
Ryan Theriot's grand slam on Friday put the Cubs ahead to stay, as did his first-inning home run on Saturday.
Friday's blast ended a string of 620 at-bats and 157 games in which Theriot had failed to homer. In terms of GP, Theriot's homerless string was the 15th longest among Cub non-pitchers since 1954.
The list of 15 follows:
- Don Kessinger (5/15/66 through 9/3/68) 404 G
- Larry Bowa (5/13/83 through 8/11/85), 310 G
- Mick Kelleher (4/17/76 through 10/5/80), 304 G
- Don Kessinger (8/16/72 through 7/11/74), 279 G
- Rey Sanchez (8/30/92 through 7/2/95), 256 G
- Richie Ashburn (4/12/60 through 10/1/61), 255 G
- Ivan DeJesus (5/28/80 through 10/4/81), 223 G
- Don Kessinger (7/13/74 through 9/28/75), 220 G
- Don Kessinger (4/24/70 through 6/11/71), 202 G
- Doug Dascenzo (5/5/91 through 10/4/92), 197 G
- Don Kessinger (7/4/71 through 8/13/72), 185 G
- Scot Thompson (7/4/80 through 7/19/83), 179 G
- Larry Bowa (4/5/82 through 5/7/83), 165 G
- Jimmy Stewart (4/18/65 through 5/14/67), 158 G
- Ryan Theriot (4/16/08 through 4/30/09), 157 G
That's a whole lotta shortstops and a whole lot named Kessinger. For what it's worth, Theriot had a far higher batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.387), and slugging percentage (.360) during his homerless streak than anyone else in this group.
And now, in 2009, he has as many home runs as Derrek Lee and Milton Bradley.
Stats from Baseball-Reference.com Play Index
31 pitches, 2 hits, 1 walk, and 3 wild pitches later...the cubs win by 1.
contreras snagged some other potential wild pitches in this chapman appearance.
22 wins in august. woo.
Down on the farm:
"Dealin'" Cease with another good outing for Eugene. Last 4 outings: 16IP, 1ER 29K. But, 10BB. Throw strikes, kid.
Candelario is killing it at Iowa after struggling at AA: .320/.406/.941 in 241AB. At age 22. Where the heck to put him next year?
UPDATE: Candy goes 3-5 tonight. Now hitting .325. Also, Almora 4-5, which is nice to see.
Happ and Jiminez to play in the AFL. Baseball is the best.
You magnificent Bastardo!
Difference is LaStella sucks, and Chapman doesn't
My guy Addy
he's attempting a comeback (or he's just very bored) and playing indie ball in the atlantic league...short-lived-cub brad snyder is also on his team.
very boring numbers for a guy with his experience in indie ball, though not bad numbers...probably not enough to get him a minor league deal at his age (33)
there goes heyward's gold glove win. bench him and bring up matt murton.
felt like 36 for sure....
Didn't LaHair hit 36 before the All Star Break? Then none after.
@CarrieMuskat 41s41 seconds ago Bryant is 1st #Cubs player to top 35 HRs since Aramis Ramirez hit 38 in 2006
surprised me, thought Soriano may have or Rizzo...maybe LaHair or Schierholtz too :)
Twitter tells me more boo's than cheers for LaStella.
What was the reaction in Chapman's first game? I was there about a week later and it was all cheers.
Not that the situations are a one-to-one, but...damn, priorities 'Murica.
bryant is good at doing home rons.