5th Inning Funny Business Afoot at Fitch
Just missing a grand slam HR, 18-year old Korean OF Jae-Hoon Ha clubbed a bases-loaded triple high off the left-centerfield fence to cap a five-run 5th, and fellow 18-year old Korean Hak-Ju Lee (presently rehabbing from 2008 TJS at Fitch Park) doubled twice and drove-in two runs, as the EXST Cubs outlasted the EXST A's 10-7 at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in hot & sunny Mesa, AZ.
19-year old RHP Tarlandus Mitchell had the most-impressive outing of the four Cubs pitchers who worked today, tossing 2.2 IP of hitless ball. Mitchell may be only 5''8, but his mid-90's fastball really packs a wallop. The young Texan was an all-state football player (QB/DB) as well as a two-way star baseball player (P/OF) at Alto HS before getting drafted by the Cubs in the 22nd round of the 2008 Rule 4 Draft. He fell to the 22nd round only because he was considered a "tough sign" who was more-likely to play college football than pro baseball, but the Cubs are no doubt glad he chose a career in baseball.
Converted 3B Josh Lansford (son of Carney Lansford) also got an inning of work today and looked good, retiring the side 1-2-3 with one strikeout. Although his father and uncles were MLB third-basemen, his brother is a pitcher in the A's organization, and so maybe it's not surprising that Josh looks like a natural on the mound.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Francisco Guzman, DH #1: 2-4 (L-5, K, 1B, BB, 2B - 1 R)
2. Jose Valdez, CF: 1-4 (F-8, BB, 1B, K, L-6 - 2 R)
3a. Matt Cerda, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B, BB - 2 R, SB)
3b. Juan Medina, C: 0-2 (L-8, 4-3)
4. Ryan Keedy, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, BB, 4-3, 1-3 - 1 R, 1 RBI)
5. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-3 (K, FC, BB, F-9 - 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 SB, 1 CS)
6. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, K, F-9)
7. Jae-Hoon Ha, LF: 1-3 (HBP, 6-3, 3B, 5-3 - 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. George Matheus, 3B: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, K, 6-3 - 1 R)
9. Robert Bautista, SS: 1-3 (1B, F-8 SF, K, 4-3 - 1 R, 1 RBI)
10. Hak-Ju Lee, DH #2: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, 4-3 - 2 RBI)
1. Jon Nagel - 3.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 1 WP, 1 PO, 5/3 GO/FO
2. Josh Lansford - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO
3. Tarlandus Mitchell - 2.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 3 WP, 1/4 GO/FO
4. Eduardo Figueroa: 1.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Figueroa's innings in both 8th & 9th were stopped before three outs after he reached the maximum pitch count for that inning ("roll it!").
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...