I-Cubs' Team BA [Colorado] Springs Near .300

The Iowa Cubs dropped the opener of a four game set in Colorado Springs by a score of 16-15 on Tuesday. They've won the next two by tallies of 18-4 and 17-4. 50 runs on 66[!] hits will getcha two out of three every time. Apparently there's no humidor at Security Service Field.

Jake Fox is back up to .420 with 107 total bases and 28 extra base hits in 30 games.

Lefty swinging Brad Snyder has poked five of his 11 HR's off of southpaws.

The I-Cubs started the series with a very respectable team BA of .273 and have still managed to jack it all the way up to .296 in three days!

Jeff Samardzija started last night and went four innings, giving up two runs on six hits with no walks and three strikeouts. Both runs came in the first. All told Samardzija threw 67 pitches, 45 of them strikes. He also stroked two hits of his own.

After tonight's series finale [featuring a fireworks promo - seriously] pitting Mitch Atkins against retread Josh Fogg, the team heads to Salt Lake City, another of the PCL's rareified launching pads. By the time the road trip ends the trainees may be hitting at a .300 clip as a team.

On a personal note, this writer's book [Far From the Trees: The Troubled Sons of an American Neighborhood; Outskirts Press], mentioned in this space during the offseason when it released in December, has today been named a finalist in the Indie Book Awards category of Regional Non-Fiction. Feel free to judge the book strictly on the basis of the front and back covers. I think you'll appreciate them both, if nothing in between. The book's available online @ Amazon and Barnes & Noble. And please forgive the shameless self-promotion. Rob said I could...MW

Comments

congrats on the nomination...

Obviously, the elevation didn't seem to affect the Sky Sox much, since they only scored 23 runs over the 3 games... The Rockies' pitching isn't pretty, and there obviously isn't a whole lot of reinforcements in Co Springs....

Nice one star review on Amazon, Mike, amongst all the higher stars you received. As someone who has published several books (sorry, fellas, no sports books) I know it's always fun when some douche bag who has, possibly, very odd motives, gives a one star for a book on Amazon. My God, man, even if you hate the book give the author enough props for taking the time to write it and give author TWO fucking stars.

Writing a book is labor intensive and unless you score you're making WalMart wages. And, the odds of doing so are like walking out of a casino beating the house 9 out of 10 trips. And not losing your winnings on the one time you didn't beat them.

Kudos to you, and I haven't even read the damn thing yet.

yeah, O&B, all very true...still tryin' to figure out who I killed to warrant the one-star savagery from NJ; she stands out so far as the exception that proves the rule [knock wood]...

Just publish another one and some other jerk will do it. It's amazing. Of course, I've had a few published where I had several one stars and a 5 star as balance, so ha ha, it works both ways I guess.

Congrats Mike!

Nice goin' Mike!

How interesting that a couple years ago Josh Fogg was a "star" on a Rox team that made the WS - and won like 23+ games in a row to get there!

Congrats Mike!!

Thanks very much to all you congratulators!