Let's Play Twelve!
The EXST Giants defeated the EXST Cubs 4-1 in a pre-planned 12 inning Extended Spring Training game at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in Mesa.
Prior to this season, the EXST Cubs had one "Camp Day" per week (usually on Thursday), where the team would have a special workout to practice various drills, followed by an intrasquad game. This gave pitchers needing work an opportunity to throw as many innings in a game setting as deemed necessary.
But there are no "Camp Days" this season (EXST games are now scheduled every day Monday through Saturday, and players get Sundays off), so it's been a bit of a struggle to get all 24 of the EXST pitchers (plus rehab guys) enough opportunities for game action. Therefore, we have seen such things as simultaneous double-headers played on adjoining fields, or games extended beyond nine innings to allow a pitcher from one of the two teams to get an inning of work, or (like today) a pre-planned "extra inning" game.
Among the pitchers getting work today were two position players turned pitchers, RHP (ex-3B) Josh Lansford and LHP (ex-OF) Ryan Sontag. Also, RHP Julio Pena threw two inning of relief, since he was working on only three days rest after starting one of the games in Scottsdale last Monday. (So that means Su-Min Jung will probably get the start tomorrow).
Dwayne Kemp got a start at 3B today (the third different position he has played in his last three games), an indication that he is likely being groomed as a "super-sub" utility guy. Unfazed by constantly getting moved around in the field, Kempy continued his hot hitting, smashing a triple off the right-centerfield fence, although he followed that with a brain-fart baserunning gaffe, getting thrown out at the plate 4-2 trying to score on a grounder to 2B with no outs.
And Iowa Cubs RHP Justin Berg (at Fitch Park rehabbing from a sore shoulder the last couple of weeks) left EXST today, presumably en route to rejoin the I-Cubs. Berg looked good throwing an inning yesterday in Phoenix, getting four ground balls (his bread & butter).
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Hak-Ju Lee, DH #1: 1-5 (4-3, F-7, 2B, 1-3, K)
2. Jose Valdez, LF: 1-5 (5-3, 1B, F-7, 4-3, K - 1 R)
3. Matt Cerda, DH-C-2B: 1-4 (K, E-7 SF, 1B, F-9, F-8 - 1 RBI, 1 CS)
4. Jericho Jones, 1B: 0-5 (K, 6-5 FC, K-DP, F-9, K)
5. Logan Watkins, 2B-SS: 1-3 (E-4, 1B, BB, BB, 4-3)
6. Jae-Hoon Ha, CF: 2-5 (1B, 6-4 FC, 1B, 6-4-3 GIDP, 3-U - 1 SB)
7a. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-2 (1-3, BB, K)
7b. Sean Williams, RF: 0-1 (K)
8. Alvaro Sosa, C-DH: 0-4 (3-U, 4-3, K, 4-3)
9a. Dwayne Kemp, 3B: 1-3 (3B, F-9, E-5)
9b. Jose Made, 3B: 0-0
9c. Juan Medina, C: 1-1 (1B)
10a. Robert Bautista, SS: 0-2 (4-2 FC, F-8 - 1 CS)
10b. George Matheus, SS-3B: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
1. Jeffry Antigua - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/4 GO/FO
2. Josh Lansford - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 2 GIDP, 4/1 GO/FO
3. Ryan Sontag - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/FO
4. Cody Hams - 1.0 IP, 0 H,0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/FO
5. Julio Pena - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/FO
6. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/FO
7. Eduardo Figueroa - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO
1. C Alvaro Sosa threw ball into CF (E-2) while trying to nab runner advancing to 2nd base on Passed Ball in top of the 5th allowing runner to advance to 3rd base, and runner eventually scored unearned run on SF.
2. 3B George Matheus made errant throw to 1st base allowing batter to reach safely with two outs and bases empty in the top of the 9th, and runner scored unearned run on RBI double by next batterr.
1. Alvaro Sosa - 1-1 CS, 1 PB, 1 E-2
2. Matt Cerda - 1-1 CS
3. Juan Medina - 0-4 CS
1. Dwayne Kemp led off bottom of the 3rd with a triple, and then was thrown out on a 4-2 FC trying to score on ground ball to 2B with no outs. Kemp also was thrown out at 2B trying to take an extra base after reaching on an E-5 throwing error with one out in the bottom of the 7th.
2. Matt Cerda was thrown out on a 6-5 FC while trying to advance trom 2nd base to 3rd base on a ground ball to SS with no outs in the bottom of the 4th.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.
we can only hope...
The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed