Splitsville in Scottsdale for Cubs and Giants
Robert Hernandez was clubbed for seven runs in a nightmarish bottom of the 1st inning and the EXST Giants cruised to 9-3 victory over the EXST Cubs on Indian Bend Park Field #4 in Scotsdale this morning, but not to worry too much, because Logan Watkins and Matt Cerda drove-in two runs apiece and Su-Min Jung and Toby Matchulat combined to throw six innings of two-hit shutout ball, as the another squad of EXST Cubs defeated another squad of EXST Giants 5-1 at Indian Bend Park Field #3, in a game played simultaneous to the one on Field #4. And I was able to watch both games simutaneously, too.
Dwayne Kemp returned to the lineup (he was a DH on Field #4) after missing a week-plus of games while nursing a sore quad, and he looked rusty, too, striking out in each of his first three ABs.
And the Cubs didn't bring enough position players along to fill the normal two DH slots. Outfielders Jae-Hoon Ha and Francisco Guzman did not make the trip to Scottsdale today. I know Ha is injured (he has been in shorts and t-shirt for several days now), but I don't why Guzman was absent.
So then here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SQUAD "A" PLAYING ON FIELD #3:
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 5-3 SH, 1B, 6-3 - 1 R, 1 SB,1 CS)
2. Logan Watkins, SS: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B - 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 SB)
3. Matt Cerda, 2B: 2-4 (F-7, 1B, 2B, F-7 - 2 RBI)
4. John Contreras, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, BB, K)
5. Jericho Jones, RF: 0-2 (BB, BB, K, 3-U - 1 R)
6. Chris Weimer, LF: 0-4 (L-6, L-6, K, F-8)
7. Juan Medina, C: 1-4 (1B, F-7, K, F-9 - 1 R)
8. George Matheus, 3B: 1-4 (F-8, 2B, 3-1, F-9)
9. Jose Guevara, DH: 0-1 (F-8)
NOTE: #9 spot in order was skipped until the 8th inning, when hard-workin' Jose Guevara was finally able to get an AB after being assigned to warm-up pitchers (from both Cubs squads) in the bullpen for most of the game.
1. Su-Min Jung - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 5/2 GO/FO
2. Toby Matchulat - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/3 GO/FO
3. Yohan Gonzalez - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP,1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO
SS Logan Watkins had two errors (one throwing error and one fielding error, both allowing the batter to reach base safely), and 3B George Matheus had one fielding error allowing batter to reach base, although the batter was immediately thrown out 7-4 (LF Chris Weimer to 2B Matt Cerda) when he tried to take 2nd on the play.
SQUAD "B" PLAYING ON FIELD #4:
1. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, F-7, 6-3 - 1 RBI)
2. Dwayne Kemp, DH: 0-4 (K, K, K, 5-3)
3. Kevin Soto, CF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, BB - 1 R, 1 SB)
4. Sean Hoorelbeke, 1B: 1-3 (6-4 FC, F-8, 1B - 1 R, 1 SB)
5. Alvaro Sosa, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
6. Robert Bautista, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B - 1 RBI)
7. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, P-4)
8. Sean Williams, LF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 5-3)
9. Jose Made, 2B: 0-1 (BB, K, BB - 1 R, 2 SB)
1. Robert Hernandez - 2.1 IP, 9 H, 7 R (7 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 3/4 GO/FO
2. Dionis Nunez - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 4/1 GO/FO
3. George Pineda - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/0 GO/FO
P George Pineda had one fielding error (dropped throw covering 1st base) leading to two unearned runs scoring later in the inning, and 1B Sean Hoorelbeke had one fielding error (two base error, batted ball caromed off his glove and into right-field foul territory, allowing batter to reach 2nd base)
Alvaro Sosa: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Temperature got up into the 90's by the end of the games, but it was also partly cloudy
ATTENDANCE: 13 (including Hak-Ju Lee's family visiting from South Korea)
Didn't see the game, but it sounded like the Cubs gave away 2 runs with poor fielding. Bummer.
Well, it's been a fun diet of Reds, Brewers and Braves, but now the Cubs have to play real teams in May (Pirates, Nationals, SF, Cards and Dodgers) -- hope we are all still smiling when we wake up on Memorial Day.
He does seem out of synch. His body seems to start forward, then his arms sort of try to catch up -- if that's his normal swing, he will never hit for power. It's an all-arms slasher swing, but the timing seems off.
He is currently slugging .256 -- I realize the weather has been bad, but that's epically bad. Currently 92nd out of 94 qualified NL batters. Yikes.
Weird home stand -- 3-1, with 2 rainouts, vs. two teams that will lose 100 games. Feels oddly disappointing.
Miserable baseball weather all week -- hopefully better weather will get the bats going. Not just walking, but actually hitting.
That strike call on LaSterlla was terrible
I was hearing some talk that John Mallee is trying to change Heyward's swing. Wonder if that is lending itself to the slow start.
at least it wasn't a "nobody showed up" stomping.
anytime you wanna jumpstart your season would be nice, heyward.
Now looming VERY large. Game tied.
That Braves TOOTBLAN trying to stretch a double into a triple is looming very large.
Phil, do you know if Victorino has an opt out date approaching? Thanks.
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.