Zambrano Suspended for 6 Games; Cubs Scurry for Pinch-Hitter

As expected, Carlos Zambrano was handed a six game suspension for his antics yesterday. Unlike Milton Bradley, pride isn't an issue for Z as he said he won't bother appealing the suspension and will begin serving it immediately. He'll miss the Dodgers series and the first two games in Atlanta next week. Conveniently the Cubs have an off-day Monday, so some minor rotation juggling and Z should be starting next Thursday in Atlanta.

Comments

If you really wanted to screw around I guess you have him make his starts until the suspension doesn't cover an off day, then retract the appeal, and maybe pitch Lilly on 3 days rest.

Great quote from the video highlight linked,

"That always works."

Hopefully 4 months from now we will be talking about how that play lit a fire under the Cubs on their way to their first WS in a century +.

I endorse this plan.

i like to think the chicken i slaughtered and the 3 candles i burned played much more of a role in recent cubs wins.

all of this could have been avoided 2 weeks ago if lou would have just patted more butts and kicked dirt on an umpire. what are they paying this guy for? i don't have enough candles to burn for good luck every time this asshat does something counter-productive.

If and when we're saying that, I'll be thinking in the back of my mind "what a load of mularkey", but I sure won't argue about it.

Lou's dipshittedness cost us the game Monday, though.

LF Soriano, SS Theriot, RF Bradley, 1B Lee, CF Johnson, C Soto, 3B Fontenot, 2B Blanco, P Wells.

which side of the plate will Blanco hit from with the curveball throwing Wolf on the mound?

HE'S GONNA STAND RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE, ROB!! THAT'S HOW YOU HIT A WOLF!!

I was going to guess Pulp Fiction reference at first, but that's not right. You got me.

I WRITE MY OWN SHIT!

my bad...

Scales back up...

yeesh...freel on that chad fox plan.

Lou on pregame:

Trammell is working with Fox at 3B and he's not quite ready yet. He said it may not be pretty but he will get the job done.

TCR Translation: Expect him to start at 3B in Atlanta

Been looking forward to the game all day.. not much to do on my day off... aaaand it's on WCIU. Don't get MLBN. Fuck my life.

you should have invited your girlfriend back in..

EPIC FAIL

Conveniently, I do get MLB network here in northern Indiana. However, MLBN is showing Tigers @ Orioles. If this is the same blackout BS I've fucking had it with baseball. Fucking stupid. Serously, they're talking about the 2008 Orioles yearbook - fuck that

Fox on wgn radio pregame interview:

Me play hard, me have fun...

More Jake Fox:

Q: what are the challenges you are having to meet while practicing at 3B

A: it's about getting the job done, catching the ball, getting the win.

only top 20 picks, but one guy briefly mentioned w/ the Cubs in RHP Eric Arnett is at #18 in this one.

• OK -- my 4th of July resolution is to try to stay more positive. So -- 10 games to the AS break, meaning the Cubs will be in first place at the break! First time since...2008? Also, hopefully, Willson, KB and Javy learned something about Familia yesterday that they can use in the future.

billybucks 11 min 15 sec ago view
  • Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 1 hour 35 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 5 hours 32 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 5 hours 59 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 18 hours 34 sec ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(