The Cubs All-Star History
As much as I dread the current All-Star break, I was a fan once upon a time. Back before interleague play, having kids and cable television, the Midsummer Classic was a guilty pleasure to get a chance to see how our Cubbies did against the best of the best.
So part of the glacially-paced Wiklifield project, I put together this page that slices and dices the Cubs All-Star appearances. Some fun facts after the jump...
- You'll often hear about Ernie Banks being a 14-time All-Star, which is true...in a sense. He only made the All-Star team in 11 seasons, but between 1959 and 1962, they played two All-Star games separated anywhere from two days to a month. Banks got an extra game in 1959, 1960 and 1962.
- Not only does Banks lead in Cubs All-Star appearances, he also leads Cubs shortstops and Cubs first basemen in appearances. I like to use the season counter rather than double counting for 1959-1962, so I just consider Banks to have made 11 All-Stars, but he made 7 as a SS, one more than Don Kessinger and 4 as a 1B, one more than Mark Grace and Phil Cavarretta, although Grace technically started at DH in 1993.
- The only Cub pitcher to ever start an All-Star game? Claude Passeau in 1946. He's tied for the most All-Star appearances for a Cubs pitcher at 4 with Bruce Sutter. Carlos Zambrano needs one more selection to tie them.
- Speaking of Sutter, he pitched three of the four times he selected, and threw 5.2 scoreless innings with a win and two saves. Randy Myers has the only other Cub save and Lee Smith threw three innings in 1987 in a 13-inning game for the win.
- A Cub has hit a home run in the All-Star game on seven different occasions - Augie Galan in 1936, Hank Sauer in 1952, Ernie Banks in 1960, George Altman in 1961, Billy Williams in 1964, Andre Dawson in 1991 and Alfonso Soriano in 2007.
- Ryne Sandberg is second in All-Star appearances with 10 behind Banks and first in starts with 9...first in 1984 and then 1986-1993, including being the top vote-getter from 1990-1992. The one year he didn't start - 1985 - Tommy Herr got the start.
- The only other Cub to be top vote-getter was Sammy Sosa in 1999.
- Ted Lilly was the 192nd Cub to be named to an All-Star team...if I counted right.
Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.
Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.
Can't have everything, I guess.
i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.
Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.
Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...
Here's some defensive numbers:
- Crawford (22.2)
- Seager (16.9)
- Cozart (14.2)
- Hechavarria (13.5)
- Russell (12.4)
- B. Crawford 2.3
- Russell 2.0
- Hechavarria 1.7
- N. Ahmed 1.6
- Z. Cozart 1.5
13.C. Seager 0.7
.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned
Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?
Favorite Genesis video
Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.
Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna