Trade Deadline Eve

The rumor talk hasn't grown much louder than a whisper so far for the Cubs, a few names sprinkled here or there, but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves.

Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports says the Cubs prefer lefty reliever John Grabow of the Pittsburgh Pirates over the Nationals Joe Beimel. Neither one seems like much of a choice to me as a LOOGY though. Grabow has struck out 8.1 batters per nine innings(7.8 on the season) compared to Beimel and his 5.1 career K/9 (5.4 on the season).  Over his career, Grabow doesn't show much of a difference versus lefties or righties (.742 OPS vs RH, .723 vs. LH).) Beimel for his career has a .721 OPS against versus lefties, .785 versus righties. As for this season, Beimel does a better job of keeping people off base with a 1.33 WHIP compared to Grabow's 1.50 WHIP. Beimel has a .714 OPS against versus righties, .705 versus lefties this season while Grabow has shown a reverse split of .702 versus righties, .715 versus lefties.

Grabow features a low 90's fastball with a change and slider, and tends to give up the flyball over the grounder (at least the last 2 seasons). Beimel keeps the ball on the ground usually(not so much this year) with a fastball in the mid 80's along with a change and curve as well.

Considering Marmol, Gregg, Marshall and Guzman all have OPS against as good or significantly better than either of them, I'm not sure this is much of an improvement for the team, although removing Jeff Samardzija or Aaron Heilman from the roster wouldn't be that bad. Grabow is a free agent after the season and would be a Type A free agent most likely, according to MLBTR.

The other rumor from Wittenmyer is that the Cubs continue in their perpetual search for a left-handed hitting right fielder with Jeremy Hermida and Mark Teahen mentioned.

Comments

"...but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves."

I said this in April. And was scoffed at by some, including The Real Neal. HA! Who is "right now", Mr.! lol

Yes, I want a medal.

It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan.

The whole Zell bullshit really hurts all fans and season ticket holders, as Hendry will not be able to really "make the team better" during a competitive season. But he could care less.

What you said is there wouldn't be any money for big moves. What I said was that you were making assumptions. I was correct. Hah!

"It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan"

The $ 50 million more we spent then the Cardinals should not have Cubs in position to pick "real talent"

But he could care less. - (Zell)

SI's Jon Heyman mini post on Grabow to Cubs possibilities

Maybe part of the reason the Cubs haven't had more than whispers is that they will still be able to make their trades after the "deadline" because they are the sort of trades that will make it through the waiver process (which I know nothing about)?

Cubs traded Hart...

that's HART for the hard of hearing

• j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 5 hours 55 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 7 hours 40 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 14 hours 1 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 15 hours 56 min ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.

billybucks 1 day 2 hours ago view