Trade Deadline Eve

The rumor talk hasn't grown much louder than a whisper so far for the Cubs, a few names sprinkled here or there, but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves.

Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports says the Cubs prefer lefty reliever John Grabow of the Pittsburgh Pirates over the Nationals Joe Beimel. Neither one seems like much of a choice to me as a LOOGY though. Grabow has struck out 8.1 batters per nine innings(7.8 on the season) compared to Beimel and his 5.1 career K/9 (5.4 on the season).  Over his career, Grabow doesn't show much of a difference versus lefties or righties (.742 OPS vs RH, .723 vs. LH).) Beimel for his career has a .721 OPS against versus lefties, .785 versus righties. As for this season, Beimel does a better job of keeping people off base with a 1.33 WHIP compared to Grabow's 1.50 WHIP. Beimel has a .714 OPS against versus righties, .705 versus lefties this season while Grabow has shown a reverse split of .702 versus righties, .715 versus lefties.

Grabow features a low 90's fastball with a change and slider, and tends to give up the flyball over the grounder (at least the last 2 seasons). Beimel keeps the ball on the ground usually(not so much this year) with a fastball in the mid 80's along with a change and curve as well.

Considering Marmol, Gregg, Marshall and Guzman all have OPS against as good or significantly better than either of them, I'm not sure this is much of an improvement for the team, although removing Jeff Samardzija or Aaron Heilman from the roster wouldn't be that bad. Grabow is a free agent after the season and would be a Type A free agent most likely, according to MLBTR.

The other rumor from Wittenmyer is that the Cubs continue in their perpetual search for a left-handed hitting right fielder with Jeremy Hermida and Mark Teahen mentioned.

Comments

"...but it doesn't appear they'll make any big impact moves."

I said this in April. And was scoffed at by some, including The Real Neal. HA! Who is "right now", Mr.! lol

Yes, I want a medal.

It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan.

The whole Zell bullshit really hurts all fans and season ticket holders, as Hendry will not be able to really "make the team better" during a competitive season. But he could care less.

What you said is there wouldn't be any money for big moves. What I said was that you were making assumptions. I was correct. Hah!

"It makes me sick to see the f-ing Cardinals pick up real talent while we pickup Jeff Baker and Rag-arm B.J. Ryan"

The $ 50 million more we spent then the Cardinals should not have Cubs in position to pick "real talent"

But he could care less. - (Zell)

SI's Jon Heyman mini post on Grabow to Cubs possibilities

Maybe part of the reason the Cubs haven't had more than whispers is that they will still be able to make their trades after the "deadline" because they are the sort of trades that will make it through the waiver process (which I know nothing about)?

Cubs traded Hart...

that's HART for the hard of hearing

• Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 2 hours 10 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 3 hours 16 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 3 hours 42 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 4 hours 9 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 5 hours 38 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 7 hours 12 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 8 hours 52 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 54 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 8 hours 56 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 8 hours 58 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 9 hours 6 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 8 min ago view