Cubs Rumor Round-Up: Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez, Cameron & More
- Assuming the package of Cubs prospects that Hendry is willing to offer isn't enough to pry Curtis Granderson from the Tigers, the Cubs may move on to signing Mike Cameron as their main focus. First, the Cubs will have to move Milton Bradley of course and then they could look to sign the 36, going on 37-year old center fielder. Lou raves about him and Cameron raves about Lou in the article, so chances are he won't end up in Lou's doghouse by April.
- He said, she said: Jon Heyman say the Cubs aren't close to dealing Bradley because they're only willing to eat up to $5M of his contract, but Will Carroll tweeted around 8pm CST last night that:
Cubs signing of Mike Cameron is waiting on deal of Milton Bradley, which has been "imminent" for about 72 hours.
- More on Cameron from the Tribune, and thoughts that Tampa Bay and Texas are the most likeliest landing spots for Bradley.
"For some guys it's a gift," Cameron, who played for Piniella in
Seattle from 2000 to '02, told the Tribune in '07 of playing for
Piniella. "And for some guys it's a curse. I've seen both sides of the
fence. For me, it was a blessing. It made me the player I am today. He
taught me a lot about the game, and he's one of the ultimate field
generals, probably the best manager I've ever had."
I covered Cameron earlier in the offseason, and the Cubs would get a decent but aging bat that drove in 10.7% of the runners in front of him last year (Not good, basically Bradley territory). He did much better in past years driving in runs and still seems to have the defensive chops to cover center field with the best of them. At 37 though, it should be a one year deal with maybe a 2nd year option, but I guess he gets more if Hendry is involved.
- The Cubs popped up on a list of suitors for Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez. Both were offered arbitration by the Braves and would cost the Cubs a 2nd round pick as the Cubs first round pick is protected this year. They'll have to move fast though as the deadline to accept or decline arbitration is Monday and at least in Soriano's case, they want to know what kind of offers are out there or they'll take up the Braves on arbitration.
- Bruce Miles has a Winter Meeting preview up, saying a right-handed outfielder compliment to Fukudome is on the agenda (assuming they move Bradley). That puts guys like David DeJesus and Rick Ankiel down on the Cubs wish list. Also mentions Texas and Tampa as the most likely spots for Bradley and if the Cubs do have to then move someone like Burrell, a three-team trade doesn't have to happen immediately. Also, expect a vet right-handed bullpen guy to be signed at some point.
- Lou doesn't rule out returning for 2011. Joy.
- Baseball Analysts covers "The Problematic Cubs Outfielder".
Thanks to everyone who discovered most of those links for me...
Just had to ask, I guess.
Haven't had a big comeback win in a long time (at least it seems like a long time). Great feeling!
Rizzo should hold clinics on 2-strike hitting. Awesome.
cubs lead in the top 7th!
triple, walk, domination
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.
Always a good idea to bring in Richard against a LH batter.
Russell left game with left heel contusion from foul ball on Saturday. Started to bother him during the Sunday game.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.
39 pitch inning by Lester. I guess it's a wash vs yesterday's 1st when Lackey gave up 2 run HR.
39 pitch, 2 run, 1st inning for lester. bleh.
horrible control so far today.