New Cubs Quizzes and NFL Playoff Odds

First a word from our sponsors and for you degenerate gamblers...

The Super Bowl lines  are out and the Colts (3/1) lead the way, with the New Orleans Saints (4/1), San Diego Chargers (9/2) and the Minnesota Vikings (15/2) following close behind. The experts have made their picks, what are you waiting for? Now is the time to check out the latest Super Bowl Lines, make your Super Bowl XLVI pick and show everyone who the real expert is before it's too late.

You got to pay the bills.

Here's a good time to remind everyone of The Bear Truth, the Bears blog that I and a few readers contribute on an occasional basis. I do like the Colts this year to win it all, on the other hand, I got 3 of 4 games wrong in the first round so pay no attention to me.

Also if you need some time wasters, I've created two more quizzes on sporcle - Cubs Top Draft Picks and Cubs Playoff Opponents. At some point, I'll add all of these somewhere on the site.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 28 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

• from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

• great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

• If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?

Craig A. 19 hours 12 min ago view
  • #Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.

Fun with FIP

• J. Hammel   3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
    • J. Arrieta     2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
    • J. Lester     2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
    • K. Hendricks  2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
    • J. Lackey     3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
  • zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k

he's great when his control is "on"...problem is it's rarely "on" consistently. he could vault up the cubs prospect list if he ever gets better with that aspect of his game.

• JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.

My second thought was what you came up with. My first thought was he was trying to light a fire under Hammel.

Jackstraw 21 hours 30 min ago view
  • Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...

• joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1

not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.

really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.

• Russell and Soler can attest that Urias has a pretty good curve/slider - two big strikeouts looking to get out of that jam in the first.

Eric S 22 hours 36 min ago view
  • Classic Scully - great stuff.

Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)

Eric S 1 day 3 hours ago view
  • Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:

"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."

VirginiaPhil 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.

VirginiaPhil 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.

Jackstraw 1 day 6 hours ago view