Cubs 99% Sure to Stay in Mesa
The Fox TV News affiliate in Phoenix has the infamous "source close to" the Ricketts (an executive apparently) saying the Cubs are likely to stay in Mesa. Apparently Bud Selig has even put in a word to the Cubs that he'd like them to stay there and I'm sure that will carry some weight with the new owners who appear to be the kind that don't want to rock the MLB boat.
Good news for those of us who prefer Mesa and who have Arizona Phil writing at their Cubs blog. Thanks to navigator for the link tip.
Of course it doesn't mean the drama is over, as the Cubs said they would pick a site to exclusively negotiate with first. So if this is true, Mesa and Arizona still need to come up with the funding for all the new facilities that were promised
UPDATE #2: Here's the plan unveiled by Mesa today.
- 15,000 seat stadium
- city would own stadium and training facilities
- Cubs agree to take over maintainence of facilities in exchange for advertising rights in stadium including naming rights of stadium
- overall cost is in the $84M range and should be approved by city council on Monday
- site yet to be determined
- The Mesa city manager warns that even if funding is approved, Cubs have yet to formally agree to anything.