Derrek Lee Missed the Memo

From the Daily Herald:

"I don't think that was our problem last year," Lee said of bad
chemistry. "I just think we didn't play good baseball, and the injuries
mounted up on us."

Woah, Woah, Woah! Slow down there, Derrek! I realized you were one of the last team members to make it to Arizona so you might have missed the welcome packet, but please take a look at it, particularly page three on "Talking to the Media" and the subsection on "Discussing 2009":

"All employees of the Chicago National League Ballclub are required to discuss the improved clubhouse chemistry of the team in 2010 because of the departure of Milton Bradley. Whenever asked about the 2009 season and what went wrong, please direct all responses to a difficult clubhouse environment and if possible mention Milton Bradley by name. Eachy mention of how fun it is to have Kevin Millar around will earn you an extra $10 in per diem money."

Comments

And on page four when asked when will Ted Lilly return the answer is.....????????

~i'll wait~

everyone is there btw for those worried about Castro...

I don't want or expect Castro to make the team out of spring training.

I just found his absence interesting.

i dunno guys...

i did see that photo from one of the first days of workouts where byrd was walking on water while having a beer with a dozen of his teammates all at once.

i think he was chewing gum, too.

this is good for at least 0.282 points of team ob% by my count.

All I know is that I'd hate to be the player coming into the OF after the Milton Bradley sideshow. I hope Byrd tears it up out of the gate, though I have my doubts... so much optimism after 2008 and so much negativity after 2009. The emotional swings are brutal!!

luckily it seems that byrd isn't directly linked as a must-do-better-than-his-replacement guy.

it seems the pulse of the fans/team expect aram/soto/soriano and SP health to pull more of the weight of what was missing rather than looking at byrd as a catalyst hero to lift the team.

Hey Crunch..your dead horse just came by...

Bradley is gone, let's move on.

you seem to have severe comprehension problems.

Do you read the blog posts or just do a daily Ctrl F "Bradley"?

Lol...I just follow you two around all day, and wait for the Milton Bradley comments to start.

So you gonna wear black armbands in his memory this season?

if it helps you to think people are carrying a torch for him rather than telling it as we see it...so be it.

Ok...so you are telling it as you see it. That's cool. I am telling it like I see it.

We agree to disagree, which is also cool.

only you're busy telling me how i'm seeing it...even about stuff that doesn't involve milton directly.

Ok...but any mention of Byrd...or Silva...brings on a mention of how we'll miss Bradley..or how they mishandled Bradley...or how Silva sucks... ok, that's a given..he sucks.

So it's cool for you to comment and throw Bradley in there, but not to comment on it for anyone else?

yes, that's exactly what im saying.

brb, invading poland.

Bwahaaaaa-haaa!!!

"Black" armbands?!...you racist.

Just be glad he also didn't mention Soriano batting leadoff and the folly of $3 million managers.

see now that's funny...

this is suppose to be fun, damnit!

that's insanity for another thread.

our 17 million dollar low-ob% best power hitting bad-leg-running leadoff man. what a great idea. i hear if you move him down in the lineup he balls up into a crumbled mass at the plate unable to stand in front of the box and swing at everything like he does when he's in his comfort spot.

maybe milton bradley should have told the piece of shit to suck it up and bat 5th/6th.

see what you did Tito

That's what I get for trying to make it fun.

yup...enjoy.

This is pretty much what he said during the season as well.

• 5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)

sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.

crunch 42 min 6 sec ago view
  • Good work!

John Beasley 2 hours 15 min ago view
  • crunch 8 hours 52 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 8 hours 53 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 9 hours 26 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 9 hours 50 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 19 hours 58 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 20 hours 8 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.