River Cats Defeat I-Cubs at Fitch Park
The Sacramento River Cats (A’s AAA squad) defeated the Iowa Cubs 6-1 at Fitch Park Field #3 this afternoon in Mesa.
Bobby Scales had three hits and reached base four times, but that was just about the extent of the I-Cubs offense.
Mike Parisi got the start for Iowa, and was hammered to the tune of four runs on six hits (including four doubles), a walk, and a wild pitch, in three innings of work (52 pitches – 34 strikes). He also struck out four. Parisi was outrighted to Iowa last Saturday.
There were several roster moves made involving the Iowa Cubs today: Pitcher Alessandro Maestri, catchers Steve Clevenger and Blake Lalli, infielders Nate Samson and Tony Thomas, and outfielder Ty Wright were assigned to AA Tennessee, and infielders Jonathan Mota and Marquez Smith were promoted to Iowa from Tennessee.
Smith was promoted to fill a need at 3B (Bobby Scales will be used primarily at 2B), while Mota—a utility infielder--has been learning the catching position this Spring while with the Tennessee squad, and he apparently did well enough to qualify as the I-Cubs emergency third catcher should anything bad happen to Welington Castillo and Chris Robinson in the same game. Mota started behind the plate in today's game.
RHP Jake Muyco and LHP Dustin Sasser were moved up to the Iowa squad for today's game, but that probably was because several Iowa relief pitchers will be in the Cubs bullpen this weekend at Chase Field. There is no indication that Muyco or Sasser have been promoted from Tennessee to Iowa, although that is a possibility.
Catcher Jose Guevara was brought up from the Boise/Mesa squad for today's game, while Iowa catchers Welington Castillo and Chris Robinson are with the Cubs this weekend.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Iowa Cubs players only):
1a. Sam Fuld, CF: 1-3 (1B+E6, 6-3, Kc)
1b. Matt Camp, CF: 0-2 (P-6, F-7)
2. Darwin Barney, SS: 1-3 (BB, 1B, 5-3, 4-3)
3. Micah Hoffpauir, DH: 1-4 (Ks, F-8, 1B, 3-U)
4. Jason Dubois, 1B: 0-4 (L-7, Ks, Ks, Ks)
5. Brad Snyder, RF: 0-4 (Ks, F-8, P-5, F-7)
6. Bryan Lahair, LF: 0-4 (Ks, 6-3, F-8, F-8)
7. Bobby Scales, 2B: 3-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, 2B)
8a. Jonathan Mota, C: 0-2 (5-3, Ks)
8b. Jose Guevara, C: 1-2 (F-9, 2B)
9. Marquez Smith, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, F-8, HBP, F-8)
1. Mike Parisi - 3.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1/3 GO/FO, 52 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Scott Maine - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 30 pitches (20 strikies)
3. Jake Muyco - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Dustin Sasser - 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K,1/2 GO/FO, 39 pitches (21 strikes)
NOTE: Top of the 9th inning was stopped early because Sasser reached max pitch-count for that inning
Bryan Lahair: E-7 (throwing error allowing runners at 1st & 2nd to move up one base)
Jonathan Mota – 1-1 CS, 2 PB
Jose Guevara – 1 PB