The LaTroy Hawkins Experience

The Cubs come back in dramatic fashion with four runs in the eighth with the entire rally starting with two outs - taking a second straight from the Brewers. I don't know what the joke is, but the punch line was once again LaTroy Hawkins.

The Good: Oh...so much. Randy Wells struck out the side to start the game and then struck out Weeks, Hart and Braun again the second time he faced them. He ended up with 7 K's on the day against just one walk, although he did give up 10 hits (just 2 for extra bases). Geovany Soto only manages a hit, but it's a home run along with 2 walks. Ryan Theriot has to be your player of the game....4/5 with the clutch 2-out, 2-RBI single in the 8th and then steals second base to set-up Fukudome's heroics. He also nailed Fielder at the plate in the second inning with the infield drawn in. Speaking of that 8th, the entire rally started with 2 outs. Byrd grounds out against Hawkins, then Chad Tracy K's. Jeff Baker singles though, Soto and Colvin work walks, the Theriot single, a clutch SB and then Mr. April with the single for the win. Marmol mows down the middle of the Brewers order with a 1-run lead...nailing down the 'tough' save.

The Bad: Jeff Gray gives up back-to-back triples in his first outing and two runs. He does end up with the vulture win. The Parachat crowd suggested there was some bad luck/sloppy defense involved though. Soriano makes another error and doesn't play a ball off the wall properly. Wells walked the pitcher with two outs in the 5th and then gave up his first two runs of the season when Weeks doubled in his third at-bat (and took third on Soriano's error).

Dare I Question Lou?: After the Brewers make it 4-2, Lou goes to Justin Berg to face Ryan Braun and he gets a ground-out, moving Corey Hart to third base. With first base open and Prince Fielder due up and righty Casey McGehee on-deck, I expected an intentional walk to Fielder. Lou went to James Russell instead, who dismissed Fielder easily on Monday and went after Fielder again. It worked, but how often can you play chicken with a 300-lb vegetarian and expect to win?

Comments

how often can you play chicken with a 300-lb vegetarian and expect to win?

...

Is that a rhetorical question? If not, my guess is three times. Are we going to keep track of the answers? Will there be a prize?

A vegetarian won't play chicken with you, especially if he's a vegan. It's against their beliefs.
____________________

Rob G., that line of yours should go into The Cub Reporter's Hall of Fame. Classic.

"Wells walked the pitcher with two outs in the 5th and then gave up his first two runs of the season when Weeks doubled in his third at-bat (and took third on Soriano's error)."

This I thought was going to lose the game for Wells. He had Bush with a 1-2 count and couldn't even throw the ball down the middle.

Regarding Fielder, how come Forrest Whittaker lost tons of weight as a vegitarian, and Fielder put it on?

being in a college area i can tell you f'sure that a lot of vegetarians tend to crutch on junkfood and crap rather than making good decisions.

a bag of chips and a cheese sandwich you can only do so much without it coming back to haunt you.

Yeah, I am sure. I have a teen daughter who does that too with her "vegetarian diet".

Also, booze and/or soda. You can drink down some calories too.

ow come Forrest Whittaker lost...
---
not enough Tofu?

forgot to mention the awesome throw by Byrd to nail Gomez at 3b, looked safe at first but replay looked like he got the leg just before the hand got in...

Marty McFly, meet Doc Brown...

"The guys who are making money are making that money because they've had really nice careers and have been successful," Piniella said. "I don't like living in the past, and I don't like living in the future. I like living in the present."

"I like living in the present." Yup, Rip, and 20 years later you wake up and notice Soriano is still in the lineup and Tyler Colvin, the hottest hitter of Spring Training has had a HOF career for the Oakland A's.

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 2 hours 54 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 2 hours 55 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 2 hours 56 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 15 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 32 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 7 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 21 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 6 hours 58 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.