All Good: Cubs 5 Brewers 1.

So, just how much good stuff happened in this Saturday night game?

(Click on image for full-size version)

First off, Ted Lilly.

Bob and Len kept saying he looked pretty rusty.  But godDAMN, he shut out the big bats of the Milwaukee Brewers for 6 innings in his first game back from shoulder surgery! If that's rusty then uh, I'll take rusty. He struck out Prince Fielder 3 times. He finished strong in his last inning with a groundout by Ryan Braun, a backwards K by Prince, and an easy pop fly by Casey McGehee on maybe 7-8 total pitches. Yep, a couple walks earlier but still, he looks like the man with guts the Cubs have been missing.

Marlon Byrd has been hotter than what my root canal feels like right now (I'm sooo about to take another vicadin).

Did you see his slide into home in game 1? Just get the hell out of the way. For some reason, maybe the way he moves or his shape or something...reminds me of Gary Mathews (not the current one but rather "The Sarge" one). Just a big freakin' gamer, that guy. Byrd goes 3 for 5 tonight, and others staying hot would be Theriot and Soto with a couple hits each.

Time will tell, but maaaaybe this Big Z in the bullpen thing is exactly what the team needed. I guess he seemed nonplussed after, but he looked pumped coming in... he's also suddenly like a pretty dangerous pinch hitter coming in late in the game. And if you're the Other Guys, having Carlos Zambrano show up on the 8th inning mound all fresh like that has got to be a hope-dasher.

Except for Xavier Nady leaving the bases loaded and John Grabow slowly turning into this year's Bob Howry, this was just fun to watch and a great game all the way around. Even Alfonso Soriano got a shout-out from Bob Brenly for running out a weak grounder and getting a single out of it. (I know, I know...)

And then I checked the Hawks score online and they pulled out one of those games you just wish you could have been at: a 5-4 overtime W that leaves Nashville a game away from going home.

And THEN, I saw an article about the Bears draft - someone please tell me how in the world the Bears could get publicly blasted for their draft in a year when they weren't even really at the table? They only had 5 total picks, all of them late.

Oh yeah.

I forgot about that boob Jerry Angelo!

Oh well, the Cubs just ruled, and maybe with young Randy Wells on the mound we'll see A SWEEP today!

Go Cubs.

Comments

I miss the TLFC predictions.

Favorite Cub moment of 2010 so far: That Byrd slide into home and then just Byrd in general. Len and Bob rightfully pointed it out the slide for it's bowling ballishness.

because he's "only" 6ft tall people mistake his weight and semi-baggy uniform for pudge...the dude is a solid rock of muscle.

catcher is lucky he only made contact with that blocking leg rather than upper torso.

My father used to call Kirby Puckett "The Human Manhole Cover"... I am waiting for him to come up with one for Byrd.

Midget Glennallen Hill

Really nice artwork there. Have you thought about making a book? I am sure that a lot of fans in Cubdumb would love one for Christmas.

"Cubdumb" -- an unfortunate moniker.

Hi Neal,
Hey, you makin' fun of my target market?
Of course I've thought about it.
But I haven't had time to follow up.
Hopefully some publisher sees this stuff and emails me an offer - a giant hardcover coffee table book with loads of cash.

• Ryan Kellogg is still a fringy prospect despite being very old for low-A. He's putting up very good numbers no matter who he's facihg.

John Beasley 47 min 20 sec ago view
  • Great article on Yosh and Nobe. Thanks for including it Trans.

Hagsag 1 hour 4 min ago view
  • Phil, it looks like Kevonte Mitchell has made some progress this Spring. Your thoughts please, thanks.

Hagsag 1 hour 9 min ago view
  • so far ryan williams (AAA) is the only system prospect on the "could be ready soon" horizon doing well...that said, he's not very exciting and he's assumed to be an end-rotation talent at best.

paul blackburn is getting great early returns in AA, but he's getting surprisingly low K numbers doing it. he throws lot of low/sinking stuff with good control...also assumed to be an end-rotation guy, but he's got room to be better, especially given his control as base to build on.

• Speaking of pitching -- another ugly outing for Underwood at AA. Through 6 starts: 5.19 ERA, WHIP 1.69. Yikes!

Man, do we need starting pitching depth. Our best hopes are still hanging with AZ Phil in Arizona. Very scary.

• jeebus... that's terrible.

Ryno 8 hours 24 min ago view
  • *clap* *clap* *clap*

Brick 10 hours 26 min ago view
  • Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.

• Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.

I'm also very happy to hear about the bi-level bump for Daniel Lewis. In the Name of Theo, he was the Last of the Full-Season Cuts, and There Will Be Blood for those who unnecessarily slow his development. Sure, he might end up in independent ball pitching for Lincoln. But if everything breaks right, he may even have a shot at joining up with the Gangs of Chicago. I wouldn't bet My Left Foot on it, though.

John Beasley 11 hours 47 min ago view
  • CHARLIE: The Cubs did the same thing with LHSP Eric Jokisch last month, and it has nothing to do with needing the player's 40-man roster slot.

The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.

Arizona Phil 11 hours 49 min ago view
  • Moosetacos, I like it. All I can think of is a bearded lumberjack dude operating a Mexican style taco truck with a Canadian accent.

Sonicwind75 12 hours 25 min ago view
  • How strange is this for May? Is it insignificant, or does it suggest some sort of trade might be in the works?

• The Cubs have sent LHRP C. J. Riefenhauser outright to Iowa.

Cubs MLB 40-man roster now stands at 37 (three slots open).

Arizona Phil 13 hours 13 min ago view
  • yow...the a.gordon/m.moustakas collision now makes the schwarb collision look minor in scope.

gordon broke his wrist, expected to miss 4+ weeks...and today moosetacos has been diagnosed with a torn ACL. fun times in KC.

• dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.

fernando-mania might have a new heir...dude is 19 (turns 20 in august) and he's got a legit argument for being MLB-ready.

• jacos 16 hours 58 min ago view