32 Days of Cupcakes

Sunday night will mark the unofficial end of the Cubs' early-season Cupcake Schedule, which included games against:

• Atlanta (3 away)
  • Cincy (6 away)
  • Brewers (3 home, 3 away)
  • Houston (3 home)
  • Metropolitans (4 away)
  • Washington (3 home)
  • Arizona (4 home)
  • Pirates (3 away)

That's 32 games against non-playoff teams from a year ago, nearly half (15) against the four clubs which currently hold down the bottom four spots in Jay's Jaffe's National League Power Rankings at Baseball Prospectus: the Nats, Reds, Astros, and Pirates. At this writing, the Cubs have a combined 3-8 mark against those clubs; makes you wonder how long it will be until the Cubs take their rightful place among, or below, that lot. (The Cubs are currently ranked #6.)

Even if the Cubs beat the Pirates tonight and then sweep the weekend series at Great American Ballpark, they'll only have a post-Cupcake record of 17-15. I don't know about you, but from the time the Cubs schedule was first announced, I was hoping for, if not outright expecting, a better start to 2010 than that.

Comments

The Cubs missed taking a bite out of one of these?

*sigh*

I didn't read the whole article, just the heading and the teams were depressing enough. This series and the Houston one are really going to come back and haunt us if we ever make like contenders - a rather large 'if' at this point.

Anticipating a question about how BP compiles those rankings, here's the answer from their site:

"The Prospectus Hit List rankings are derived from Won-Loss records and several measurements pertaining to run differentials, both actual and adjusted, from Baseball Prospectus Adjusted Standings through the close of play on every Thursday."

This helps explain why, for example, the Nationals were ranked below six teams, including the Cubs, who had worse records than Washington.

Plain and simple... we suck!

But at least we don't have Milton Bradley to deal with, too!!

Yes, at least I can root for them to win, even though they won't.

Call it a hunch, but I think the Cubs are going to handle the Cards this year.

Yeah, imagine if they could hit mediocore pitching as well as good pitching.

This team is underwhelming. Lee and Ramirez need to start hitting and we need a long term solution for the bullpen.

Cheers to editor for using 16"clincher ball

Hall of Famer Robin Roberts dead at 83.

Finished his brilliant career with a handful of starts for the '66 Cubs.

Also, by way of Yahoo's Big League Stew, great video of Roberts appearing on the old "What's My Line?" gameshow.

Stock market with a moment of Cubbery today.

Chicago does not know how lucky we are that we did not get the Olympics.

• Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.

billybucks 1 hour 8 min ago view
  • Trouble Boys, the Replacements bio, is a great option. I'm sure Chad loved it.

Tito 2 hours 23 min ago view
  • Amen Brick. What's the point of following early-season games if you can't over-react to them? What, we should be reading books now?

• "Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?"

No, I think you're thinking of Radiohead, The 1975, or Bowie's last album.

Although The National's Greatful Dead tribute is pretty cool.

• I don't think they're any kind of lock, though I do expect they'll make the playoffs.

It's not like I'm glad they've gone 4-8. I just don't think it's time to be all that worried -- just like I didn't think they were going to keep playing .730 ball.

Tito 2 hours 54 min ago view
  • vegas isn't a fan of the game because of how erratic and unpredictable it is.

SF has recently won 3 world series many thought they weren't supposed to win...BOS won a world series recently that they weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs for...favored teams with huge wins have seen 1st round exists...fun times.

• I think they'll be ok too. But having watched this team since the mid-60s, I never think it's time to conclude, well, thank god the drought is over. I've seen/heard way too many people who follow the Cubs say glad we're finally going to win the Series this year. Please. Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?

BobbyD 3 hours 14 min ago view
  • Best record in baseball and largest division lead.

I'm jumping right now!

Tito 3 hours 30 min ago view
  • Can we please stop pointing out how ridiculous it is to panic and start panicking in earnest?

Brick 4 hours 54 min ago view
  • ,571 winning percentage in May.

I think they're gonna be OK.

Tito 6 hours 16 min ago view
  • RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.

Arizona Phil 8 hours 35 min ago view
  • Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?

BobbyD 8 hours 38 min ago view
  • Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.

• If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.

CTSteve 10 hours 51 min ago view
  • Hi Arizona Phil,

Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?

Raisin101 17 hours 22 min ago view