Cubs Trounce Angels at Diablo Park
Bobby Wagner crushed a three-run HR off the Angels clubhouse beyond the RF fence, Charles Thomas ripped a two-run double, and Austin Kirk threw four shutout innings, leading the EXST Cubs to a 10-3 thrashing of the EXST Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park Field #3 at the Tempe Buttes this morning.
A 19-year old 6'1 LHP out of Owasso HS - Owasso, OK, Kirk (the Cubs 3rd round draft pick in 2009) allowed just two hits and a walk in his four innings of work, lowering his EXST ERA to 3.95 and his EXST WHIP to 1.39. He induced a timely inning-ending 5-4-3 GIDP to get out of the 2nd inning, and used a nifty pick-off move to erase a runner in the 3rd.
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
1. Runey Davis, CF: 2-5 (5-3, 1B, 1B, K, P-4, R, RBI)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 0-5 (5-3, 4-3, E-4, E-1, 5-3, 2 R, SB)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (HBP, F-8, 1B, F-8, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Charles Thomas, DH #1: 1-4 (4-U FC, 6-3, 2B, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 2-3 (2B, F-9, BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
6. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-4 (6-3, F-9, HR, K, R, 3 RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, BB, 5-3, K, R)
8. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, 1-3, F-8, R)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-8, 4-3, E-4, RBI)
10. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (F-9 SF, 3-U, K, K, RBI)
1. Austin Kirk – 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 5/5 GO/FO, 59 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Tzu-An Wang – 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Carlos Rojas – 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Yohan Gonzalez – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
SS Wes Darvill E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
WEATHER: sunny & cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good