Cubs Trounce Angels at Diablo Park
Bobby Wagner crushed a three-run HR off the Angels clubhouse beyond the RF fence, Charles Thomas ripped a two-run double, and Austin Kirk threw four shutout innings, leading the EXST Cubs to a 10-3 thrashing of the EXST Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park Field #3 at the Tempe Buttes this morning.
A 19-year old 6'1 LHP out of Owasso HS - Owasso, OK, Kirk (the Cubs 3rd round draft pick in 2009) allowed just two hits and a walk in his four innings of work, lowering his EXST ERA to 3.95 and his EXST WHIP to 1.39. He induced a timely inning-ending 5-4-3 GIDP to get out of the 2nd inning, and used a nifty pick-off move to erase a runner in the 3rd.
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
1. Runey Davis, CF: 2-5 (5-3, 1B, 1B, K, P-4, R, RBI)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 0-5 (5-3, 4-3, E-4, E-1, 5-3, 2 R, SB)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (HBP, F-8, 1B, F-8, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Charles Thomas, DH #1: 1-4 (4-U FC, 6-3, 2B, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 2-3 (2B, F-9, BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
6. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-4 (6-3, F-9, HR, K, R, 3 RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, BB, 5-3, K, R)
8. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, 1-3, F-8, R)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-8, 4-3, E-4, RBI)
10. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (F-9 SF, 3-U, K, K, RBI)
1. Austin Kirk – 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 5/5 GO/FO, 59 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Tzu-An Wang – 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Carlos Rojas – 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Yohan Gonzalez – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
SS Wes Darvill E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
WEATHER: sunny & cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.
They should have someone standing behind him to take the ball out of his glove when he's looking for a sign from the catcher, and throw to first. I vote for Baez. That way he can cover the rest of the infield, too.