Sosa Sighting at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Angels blanked the EXST Cubs 6-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
Iowa Cubs 1B-OF Jason Dubois (placed on the I-Cubs 7-day DL with back spasms on April 21st) got another rehab start (as a DH) with the Cubs today, and got five Plate Appearances (total). He batted second in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th innings, grounding out to third in the 2nd, grounding into a 6-4-3 DP in the 3rd, doubling off the LF fence in the 5th, striking out (swinging) in the 6th, and lining a single to CF in the 7th (his final AB). In two EXST games, Dubois is 2-7 with a double.
In addition, Peoria RHRP Corey Martin (placed on the Chiefs 7-day DL with a strained calf on May 3rd) made his second rehab appearance, throwing one inning in today’s game. Even though the Angels were leading 4-0 after nine innings were completed, the game was extended one extra inning to allow Martin to get his pre-scheduled work, and he was not impressive. Martin allowed a double off the CF Batter’s Eye and a line-drive RBI single, in addition to two fly balls to the warning track.
While the Angels were whitewashing the Cubs on Field #3, RHP (ex-C) Alvaro Sosa threw a two-inning simulated game on Field #1. The 23-year old 5'11 195 Sosa was converted to pitcher a month ago after hitting a combined .225 in 262 pro games going back to 2005 (and never getting past Boise in five seasons), so he is still in the very early stages of the transformation. The Cubs have an extensive history of converting light-hitting catchers into pitchers, most notably Carlos Marmol, Randy Wells, and Blake Parker. It doesn't always work, and Sosa does not have the ideal body-type for a pitcher, but at least he's getting a chance to show the Cubs what he can do on the mound before he's eligble to be a 6Y Minor League Free-Agent (Rule 55 Minor League FA) post-2011.
Cubs Minor League Pitching Coordinator Mark Riggins is at Fitch Park this week, so he will get a chance to get a good look at all the Cubs pitchers who are presently at Extended Spring Training.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only)
NOTE: DH Jason Dubois batted in five of the first seven innings, getting five Plate Appearances total in the game.
X. Jason Dubois, DH #1: 2-5 (5-3, 6-4-3 GIDP, 2B, K, 1B)
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH #2: 0-3 (K, F-8, 3-1)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (K, K, F-7)
3. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
4. Charles Thomas, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, 6-3, F-8)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 1-3 (1B, K, K)
6. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (1-3, 3-1)
7. Runey Davis, LF: 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
8. Blair Springfield, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Jose Guevara, C: 0-2 (1-3, 6-3)
10. Rafael Disla, 2B: 0-2 (3-1, K)
1. Frank Batista – 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Eduardo Figueroa – 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1/4 GO/FO, 51 pitches (32 strikes)
3. Carlos Rojas – 1.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Drew Rundle - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Danny Keefe - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Corey Martin - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
1. P Carlos Rojas E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Carlos Rojas E-1 (errant pick-off throw into CF allowed runner on 2nd base to advance to 3rd and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd)
3. 3B Charles Thomas E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
Jose Guevara: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and VERY breezy, with temperatures in the 70’s