In Honor of the Ballhawks

Chicago filmmaker Michael Diedrich has shot "Ballhawks," a documentary about the guys who plant themselves out on Waveland Avenue and wait to catch the moonshots. The film, which is narrated by Bill Murray, premieres May 28-30 at the Siskel Film Center on State Street.

Comments

would like to see that film...have stood out on waveland many times to the tune of 2 bp balls; none yet caught on the fly...the regulars like ken, moe, et. al are a different breed...

At work didn't watch video.

Looking at screen grab, where the hell is that guy standing?

That building is not on Waveland or Sheffield.

Good question. (Deluxe Sheet Metal?) I'm curious now. Will let you know what I find out.

Jacos,

Just traded emails with the director. He said the shot was from outside a Triple-A ballpark in South Bend, "where the ballhawks go because of the low stadium roof," which makes it easier to collect balls.

Thanks for the info and effort, Cubnut.

They travel to minor league parks?!?! Wow.

They are a different breed.

Not nitpicking but South Bend's affiliate is A - they play Peoria at home in early June. I plan to attend. The three night's promotions are 2 ticket for price of 1, lady's night, and, best of all, $1 beer night.

With the bleacher expansion, these guys get what, one per month?

There still have to be many from batting practice though, right? And maybe in the ballhawk universe, BP balls are nearly as valuable as the in-game homers.

hey - gonna be in town that weekend; may have to catch the premiere!

as I joked with Cubnut if there's one mention of a curse in that documentary or a section about what the Cubs winning it all would mean to them, I'm walking out of the theater (or more likely turning off my DVD).

Am I the only one who equates these guys with the people who try to wash your windshield at stoplights? It's like "hey I'm working... but you know, not really that much".

• j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 5 hours 53 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 7 hours 38 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 13 hours 59 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 15 hours 54 min ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.

billybucks 1 day 2 hours ago view