It's May Day in Maryvale
Brandon May had a double and two singles, three RBI, and a run scored, and Arismendy Alcantara cranked a solo home run, leading the EXST Cubs to a 9-2 drubbing of the EXST Brewers in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Maryvale Park Field #7 in Phoenix this morning.
While Brandon May had a big day at the plate, he had a bad day in the field, committing errors on consecutive at bats resulting in an unearned run scoring against John Mincone in the 5th. (Mincone surrendered just a bunt single in three innings of work). The two errors were May’s first of the year, ending his consecutive-games errorless streak at 17. May has been (and remains) the EXST Cubs most-reliable and versatile infield defender, capable of playing 1B, 2B, and 3B equally well (he also has played LF).
Bobby Wagner has been donning the “tools of ignorance” in recent days, warming up pitchers in the bullpen when he isn’t playing 1B or 3B. (In fact his slot in today’s lineup was skipped in the 9th inning because he was busy warming up Carlos Rojas in the bullpen). This could be a pre-cursor to Wagner making the full conversion to catcher, since he has yet to find a permanent defensive position (he played 3B in college, mostly LF last year at Boise, and mostly 1B so far this year at Minor League Camp and Extended Spring Training). Wagner is presently tied with Arismendy Alcantara for the EXST Cubs team lead in home runs (both have two).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-4 (F-7, BB, 1B, 4-3, 6-3, RBI)
2. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 3-5 (1B, 1B, 1B, K, E-4, R)
3a. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-2 (1B, HBP, HBP, 4-3, 2 R, SB)
3b. Carlos Romero, 1B: 0-1 (K)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 3-5 (2B, K, 4-6-3 GIDP, 1B, 1B, R , 3 RBI)
5. Runey Davis, LF-RF: 1-3 (F-8 SF, BB, 1B, F-9, F-7, R, RBI)
6a. Bobby Wagner, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, P-2, 3B, RBI)
6b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED IN THE TOP OF THE 9th
7. Luis Flores, C: 0-3 (P-2, F-9, BB, F-9)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B-LF: 0-4 (K+WP, 6-3, F-9, 6-3, R, SB)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K, RBI)
10. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #2: 1-4 (HR, E-3, K, E-1, 3 R, RBI)
1. Marcus Hatley – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 46 pitches (32 strikes)
3. John Mincone - 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2/4 GO/FO, 30 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Jose Rosario - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Carlos Rojas - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 8 pitches (6 strikes)
1. 3B Brandon May E-5 (overthrow at 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to reach 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 3B Brandon May E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
BASERUNNING MISADVDENTURES: Wes Darvill was thrown out 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double, and Vismeldy Bieneme was thrown out 8-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a two-out single to CF.
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.