Angels Bedevil Cubs at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Angels hammered the EXST Cubs 11-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa this morning.
The Cubs managed only three hits in the game, a 1st inning two-out RBI triple by Xavier Batista, a two-out Sergio Burruel single in the 5th, and a one-out single by Jesus Morelli in the 9th.
The pitchers also struggled, as RHP Yao-Lin Wang (five runs surrendered on three doubles, a triple, a walk, and two wild pitches in the top of the 2nd after a 1-2-3 1st inning), LHP Marcos Perez (four runs—three earned—on five singles and two doubles in three innings of work), and RHP Jadel Mendez (two runs allowed on two singles, a double, and a home run in two innings) were ineffective. RHP Corey Martin did throw two perfect innings once the game was no longer in doubt, but even he did not escape unscathed, as he was struck on the shin by a batted ball.
In ten EXST games played against the Angels so far, the Cubs are 1-7-2. (The EXST Cubs are 4-11-3 in games against the EXST Giants, 4-1-1 in games versus the EXST A's, and 1-1-1 in games played with the EXST Brewers).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 0-3 (1-3, BB, 4-3, 5-3)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (E-5, E-4, K, HBP, R, SB)
3. Jesus Morelli, LF: 1-3 (K, K, BB, 1B)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (3B, K, K, K, RBI)
5. Luis Flores, C-DH: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-9, F-9)
6. Sergio Burruel, DH-C: 1-3 (L-1, 1B, F-7, CS)
7. Runey Davis, CF-DH: 0-2 (HBP, K, K)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 GIDP, 6-3, 6-3)
9. Rafael Disla, 3B: 0-2 (P-5, BB, K)
10. Cody Shields, DH-CF: 0-3 (P-4, 3-U, 4-3)
1. Yao-Lin Wang – 1.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 39 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Marcos Perez – 3.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 57 pitches (37 strikes)
3. Jadel Mendez - 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/3 GO/FO, 41 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Corey Martin - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
1. 2B Pin Chieh Chen E-4 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single allowed batter to reach 2nd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Marcos Perez E-1 (errant pick-off throw at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
Luis Flores: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
Don't mean to spoil your mood, but with tonight's win the are 3-5 on the trip with one to play.
While I'm bringing the room down -- Richard comes in to pitch the 9th with a 12-1 lead...and can't finish the game. Woof.
For some reason
It is remarkable how my mood has become uplifted with one game against the Cards.
That is sick.
But, I have been an addict for a long time.
A W tomorrow and it will be a .500 road trip.
Also, to keep the losses in perspective, if the Cubs were to lose 10 games a month - a lot at this current pace - they still end up 102-60. Six months of the ride!
So, the Mesa Cubs should be solid this summer in the AZL Rookie League?
And, I like the, "But did you know" lead in there. Something a little different.
I can tell really like this group of hitters in AZ right now.
What pitchers out there, other than Cease, should we be excited about?
Thanks as always for the info.
back on the Run Differential hunt... (aka The Hunt for Blue October)
These are the 2016 Cubs I know and love. Also digging that Cardinals OF (lack of) defense.
Another day, another eight runs
I'm not sure there was another team in baseball that would flip a Dansby Swanson type of prospect (plus Inciarte, plus Toussaint) for Miller. That trade was just comically bad from the start, and getting worse...
Zobrist just keeps squaring up - and Soler goes yard!
Pirates jumping all over Shelby Miller tonight - so glad the Cubs didn't flip a Dansby Swanson type prospect to the Braves for him. Two years of Lackey looking like a good alternative.
3rd inning...soler walked twice in the game...first time since aug 4th last year in the regular season (2 times in the playoffs, amazingly).
Good gravy, was that a much-appreciated top of the first.
That's a good analogy, bb... Nice to see tonight's game start with a 104 yard kickoff return TD.
Grichuk won the game last night but a decent CF would have caught that drive by Ross. Good Cubbery!
this game is WAY better than last night.
6 run 1st for the cubs...
Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.