Cubs Turn Tables on Angels at Diablo Park
Bobby Wagner lined a two-out RBI single to right to drive-in the tying run in the top of the 7th, and then Arismendy Alcantara and Vismeldy Bieneme stroked consecutive RBI singles in the top of the 8th to give the Cubs a two-run lead, as the EXST Cubs defeated the EXST Angels 3-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park Field #3 at the Tempe Buttes this morning.
LHP John Mincone tossed 3.1 IP of shutout ball (throwing just 39 pitches in the process), allowing two baserunners (both singles). Over his past six outings (covering 18.2 IP), Mincone has allowed four runs (three earned) on 11 hits and two walks, with 12 strikeouts, a 1.45 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, and .169 OBA.
RHP Rogelio Carmona worked out of a bases-loaded jam (of his own making) in the bottom of the 9th to preserve the victory.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-3 (1B, BB, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
2. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 0-3 (3-U SH, K, P-4, 5-3 GIDP)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, HBP, K, R, SB)
4. Xavier Batista, DH #1: 0-4 (K, 4-3 GIDP, K, K)
5. Bobby Wagner, DH #2: 2-4 (K, K, 1B, 1B, RBI)
6. Runey Davis, LF: 1-4 (5-3, K, 4-3, 2B)
7. George Matheus, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-9)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (3-1, K, 1B, R)
9a. Carlos Romero, C: 0-2 (F-9, 1-3)
9b. Luis Flores, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
10a. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
10b. Arismendy Alcantara, PH-SS: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
1. Marcus Hatley – 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
2. John Mincone – 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Jesse Ginley - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
1. CF Alvaro Ramirez E-8 (dropped line drive in CF allowing batter to reach base safely – did not score)
2. SS Wes Darvill E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score
Luis Flores: 1-1 CS
BASERUNNING MISADVENTURES: Runey Davis was thrown out 9-4-5 trying to stretch a double into a triple with two outs in the top of the 9th, so that what would have been the Cubs 4th run did not count because Davis was thrown out at 3rd base before baserunner Bobby Wagner crossed home plate.
WEATHER: Sunny and cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.
Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...
Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.