Guyer Lone Bright Spot in Cub Loss
The EXST A’s defeated the EXST Cubs 5-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Papago Park Field #2 in Phoenix this morning.
AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer continued his rehab, and was single-handedly responsible for the lone Cub run. He ripped a double down the LF line to open the top of the 4th, then stole 3rd base, and scored on an E-2 catcher’s overthrow on the SB.
Otherwise, the Cubs offense was mainly silent.
Peoria RHP Marcus Hatley (2009 TJS rehab) started the game for the Cubs and threw two hitless & shutout innings (30 pitches), and then RHP Juan Yasser Serrano followed with two more shutout innings (23 pitches).
But LHP Marcos Perez got rocked for four runs on nine hits (seven singles, a double, and a HR) in just 1.2 IP, as he has now allowed 11 runs (10 earned) on 19 hits over his last 8.2 IP covering three outings.
Oakland A's RHP Joey Devine (TJS rehab) threw 2.2 IP of shutout ball, and was VERY impressive, allowing just one hit and no walks while fanning five.
And 6'7 Dominican bonus baby RHP Michael Inoa threw one shutout inning (1/2 GO/FO) for the A's today, allowing one hit and no walks while throwing two WP
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, 4-3)
2. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, K, SB)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF: 1-4 (K, F-8, 1B, 5-3, CS)
4. Brandon Guyer, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, BB, F-8, R, SB)
5a. Blair Springfield, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
5b. Rafael Disla, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6. Alvaro Ramirez, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, F-8)
7. George Matheus, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (F-9, 1-3, 1B+E1)
9a. Carlos Romero, C: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
9b. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (5-3)
10. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (F-8, 5-3, 5-3)
1. Marcus Hatley – 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1/2 GO/FO, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Juan Yasser Serrano – 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Marcos Perez - 1.2 IP, 9 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Yao-Lin Wang - 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/4 GO/FO, 35 pitches (19 strikes)
Carlos Romero: 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.
"woo." - pedro strop
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight