Cubs & Giants Play Two at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Cubs and EXST Giants played a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, with the Giants rallying with two runs in the bottom of the 7th to take the game played on Field #3 by a score of 4-2, while the other squads of Cubs and Giants played to a 4-4 tie on Field #4 as the Giants scored the tying run in the bottom of the 8th. (The game on Field #4 was stopped after eight innings).
Neither game was particularly noteworthy, except for Bobby Wagner making his debut as a catcher, AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer continuing his rehab (he had an RBI triple), and Jesus Morelli extending his hitting streak to 13 games on Field #3, and the Cubs committing eight errors (resulting in three unearned runs) in the game on Field #4.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Luis Flores has received his Letter of Transit and has moved up to Daytona. Flores hit 273/370/364 with 46% CS in 12 games since being reinstated from the Suspended List on April 26th.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1a. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED ALTHOUGH BIENEME REMAINED IN GAME AT 3B
2. George Matheus, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 5-3, F-9, 5-3)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, 5-3, K, R)
4. Brandon Guyer, CF: 1-4 (3B, 4-3, K, K, RBI)
5a. Bobby Wagner, C: 0-1 (F-7)
5b. Carlos Romero, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, CS)
6. Runey Davis, DH: 0-2 (BB, K, F-9, R)
7. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 0-2 (1-3, BB, L-9, CS)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (K+WP, 1B+E9, F-8)
9. Cody Shields, LF: 0-2 (F-9 SF, K, F-8, RBI)
1. John Mincone – 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 3/6 GO/FO, 56 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Danny Keefe – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Alvaro Sosa – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
C Carlos Romero E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
1. Bobby Wagner: 0-1 CS
2. Carlos Romero: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF-RF: 1-3 (K+WP, BB, 1B, 3-2 FC)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, F-7 SF, 5-4-3 GIDP, E-6, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 3B: 1-3 (E-3, F-9 SF, 1B, 4-3, RBI, CS)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, LF: 1-3 (6-U FC, F-9, 1B, CS)
6. Chris Huseby, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, K)
7a. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (6-3, F-8)
7b. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (F-8)
8. Blair Springfield, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (BB, K, 1B, 2 R)
10. Rafael Disla, DH #2: 1-2 (HBP, K, 1B, 2 R)
1. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Carlos Rojas – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Mayora - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Corey Martin - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (18 strikes)
1. C Sergio Burruel E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base – did not score)
2. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (two base throwing error at 1st base allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base)
4. LF Alvaro Ramirez E-7 (fielding error in LF allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd – eventually scored unearned run)
5. P Hector Mayora E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base – did not score)
6. C Jose Guevara E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
7. 1B Xavier Batista E-3 (missed catch at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
8. P Corey Martin E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner on 2nd base to advance to 3rd and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd base)
1. Sergio Burruel: 2-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Jose Guevara: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s
Thanks guys! Pretty sure Bill Murray says thanks too.
Awesome job, Tim!
Outfielder Chris Young signs "multiyear" contract w BoSox.
Wow, Dombrowski is a buffoon
Not sure I understand the logic, especially for more than one year.
well, that's the past. we're left with the present. even though that past you're seeing is some weird black/white either/or where hybridization of ideas isn't allowed...nonetheless...
the present is ice skating, movies, concerts, beer gardens, hotels, office space and other wonderful baseball activities based around a young, successful baseball team.
All money making ventures, which would have been offset with a reasonable TV contract that previous ownership screwed up
Nah, I'll probably just contemplate how they should've done a Padres-style all-in plan.
of course not. maybe go ice skating and think about it a while. make advanced reservations at the hotel they're starting construction on. check new releases for possible entertainment from the movie screens they want installed. think about renting an office in the new office spaces. write a letter to the cubs requesting your favorite beer be added to the beer garden. lobby your favorite band to play the outdoor venue.
...and in between that maybe they can find $40-50m to invest in the product that all of this revolves around.
let's not get caught up on phrasing for a setup and lose the gist of the post. i don't care what one wants to call the playoff exit.
+they lost their playoff attempt
there. now we can focus on something other than not liking the tone of a line that's setting up a point.
I didn't like the entire post, if that helps.
Making the NLCS with a young team = "crapping out of the playoffs with a young team."
I'm guessing 3/30 and all the two foot long hot dogs you can eat didn't work
Yes! In a 12-way tie for first!